We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone else still play Sinclair Spectrum games?

Armchair

Likes # 0

I owned a 48k model, from Jan. '84 to May '85 (sold so I could concentrate on my 'O' Levels!), and it's games have definitely left a big impression on me, probably more so than any other gaming machine I've owned. Only the early arcade shooters have been more influential.

Anyway, I still game via the wonderful Spectaculator emulator on my PC. Most of the (thousands) of games are available legally from World of Spectrum, although I mainly concentrate on the ones that were available during my Speccy ownership time.

Ones I like to play now:-

3D Deathchase
Knight Lore (NB good luck finding the Ultimate games. Distribution denied, unfortunately......)
Cookie (should have been made into an arcade game)
Sabre Wulf
Manic Miner
Chuckie Egg
Football Manager (the emulator allows you to speed games up. Handy in this case)
The Level 9 text adventures

Like this post
Useless 1

Likes # 0

Was that 'NO' an answer to my query about the power pack geniscant?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

oops,sorry,wrong forum.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Is this what you require?
click here

Like this post
Useless 1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick response, mrwoowoo. You know it might be OK, but I'd have to dig out the manual. It doesn't look the same from the photo, as mine was much more hefty, with an angular shape rather then the rather sleek rounded-off appearance of the eBay one. I know mine is from the very first issue of the Speccy as I ordered it 12 months before it finally arrived! It was so early that they sent me 3 replacements before they got it right and what a reliable one it turned out to be!

Jeanne.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Scroll down the page on this link for a selection of power supplies.
click here

Like this post
Useless 1

Likes # 0

Wow! mrwoowoo that looks great -- I'll settle down for a good browse! Thanks a heap.

Jeanne.

Like this post
psj3809

Likes # 0

I'm a huge fan of old retro Speccy games.

Its very popular at the moment, lots of companies are re-releasing retro classics for consoles. Theres a magazine in WHSmiths every month (Retro Gamer).

I post a lot over on the world of spectrum forums.

Have a go at..

click here - An online emulator but its also a leaderboard as it keeps all the scores, its a lot of fun trying to get the top score on certain games.

Also sorry to plug it but we're looking for contributors to write old Speccy reviews (you get paid per review !).

click here

We've done two books so far, theyre printed at lulu.com. Currently working on Book 3 (1987-1988), a lot of fun looking back at these classic games. Yeah the graphics/sound are outdated but the gameplay is still superb.

Like this post
psj3809

Likes # 0

Useless 1 - Post over at click here over in the forums, eg wanted.

Someone will have a spare power pack to sell (perhaps even give you) as theres 100's of Speccy users there.

Like this post
vader1

Likes # 0

I do still play zx spectrum games and i run a site dedicated to the sinclair machines over at click here

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

My very first computer with 48k ram. Who in those days would of even imagined having 8 GB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite