We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone else still play Sinclair Spectrum games?

Armchair

Likes # 0

I owned a 48k model, from Jan. '84 to May '85 (sold so I could concentrate on my 'O' Levels!), and it's games have definitely left a big impression on me, probably more so than any other gaming machine I've owned. Only the early arcade shooters have been more influential.

Anyway, I still game via the wonderful Spectaculator emulator on my PC. Most of the (thousands) of games are available legally from World of Spectrum, although I mainly concentrate on the ones that were available during my Speccy ownership time.

Ones I like to play now:-

3D Deathchase
Knight Lore (NB good luck finding the Ultimate games. Distribution denied, unfortunately......)
Cookie (should have been made into an arcade game)
Sabre Wulf
Manic Miner
Chuckie Egg
Football Manager (the emulator allows you to speed games up. Handy in this case)
The Level 9 text adventures

Like this post
Rigga

Likes # 0

You could also try here for remade classics.

click here

HTH. S.

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

where did you get your emulator from? i would love to play knight lore, sabre wulf & manic minor again to name but a few

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

Try zxspectrum.net, runs in a browser and there are loads of games.

I usually use ZXSpin to run some of the old games.

Still got some original tapes plus manuals and programming guides.

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

Just downloaded that Spectaculator emulator.

Very Good!

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

Coltech, that looks great but at home i have a download limit so i would prefer a one i can download & games i can download too

Like this post
Bob The Blob

Likes # 0

Have you tried google?
World Of Spectrum click here

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

The Ultimate Play the Game tape files for Spectaculator (and other Spectrum emulators, but that's the best one by miles) used to be available in a single file but the site is now defunct. Those games are 'denied distribution' now. Manic Miner is already embedded in Spectaculator.

Nearly everything else is available from World of Spectrum, though. You can play text adventures till you drop dead, lol.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I bought a cd from woolworths or pc world aeons ago, which came with the zx32 emulator (runs better than spectaculator on this vista machine).. was surprised it came with a full compact disc worth of games, thousands to try out. Not sure if any high st stores will still sell emulator discs. Favourite games include bak2skool, chuckie egg and fantasy world dizzy :) for buying emulator discs, youre probably best to try ebay, although distinguishing retail emulators/games from gamers simply selling their own private downloaded game rom collections for profit may be difficult

Like this post
Useless 1

Likes # 0

I still have my old Speccy -- in good working order before the power pack gave up! I'd love to get it going again and see if those tapes I've preserved so carefully are still OK!

Jeanne.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

NO.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?