We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new pc

Ben9000uk

Likes # 0

In a couple of days my new computer will arrive and i was wondering if it would be good enough to run current games on high graphics. Here are the specs

Antec Nine Hundred
493 x 206 x 468mm / Side Window
9 Drive Bays / Tri Cool Exhaust System

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
4x 2.66 GHz
2x 4MB Cache
1066MHz FSB

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum 4GB Dual Channel

Asus Striker Extreme
Socket 775 / 1066MHz FSB
Dual Channel DDR2 800 / SATA II
8ch Audio / PCI-E / SLI / 680i

GeForce 8800GT
1GB / PCI-Express
Dual-Link DVI

320GB SATA 7,200 rpm hard drive

180GB 7,200rpm SATA Hard drive

2x DVD writer +-r, +-rw

650W Power supply

Any comments are appreciated. I would also like to know of any games or programs that can utilise a quad core cpu. I know crysis can but are there any others currently available.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

looks a great pc, for games supreme commander can use quad plus its a great game and you get forged alliance with it now. assassins creed can do quad.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Is your graphics card....Not even a GTS? Better of with at least that, and better still a 8800GTX, maybe you can squeeze them on the graphics?

Otherwise it will eat most things easily...Crysis and the like may struggle at medium settings with that card though.

Like this post
DrScott

Likes # 0

is a superb card and excellent value. The GTS is marginally better provided its the newer of the versions. Certainly for the 1680 x 1050 it's perfect. The GT can be overclocked.

Your CPU is perfectly fine, though the Q6600 has slightly more bangs per buck and is very overclockable.

The case is very good - I have one! Though it is a dust trap. Some dust filters on the fans (or even old tights) are a good idea. I didn't bother and was slightly horrified by the mess in my case!

Still, a decent system. Who's making it?

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Only ones i know of for quad uttilization are...
Supreme Commander and expansion
Crysis
Hellgate London
Alan Wake (sept 2th) (which apparently looks amazing on a quad core as this game is mainly cpu dependent not gpu)
Unreal Tournament 3 (Unreal 3 engine is capable of using 4 cores)

Like this post
Ben9000uk

Likes # 0

ccl click here are making it though im fitting the psu, hard drives and dvd drives. Its arriving tommorow.
The graphics card should do fine for now though i may upgrade it in a year, probalby for nvidias new GTX 200, buts thats far off.
How much should i overclock cpu and graphics by. I want to stay very much in the safe zone, i dont want to break my new computer so a safe estimate would be appreciated. Very safe though.
Good about UT3 as i allready have it and its a brilliant game. Anyone know about command and conquer tiberian wars (the new one) with quad cores?

Like this post
kent85

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a pc for gaming, i need it to be able to play all the latest fps games online with no problems.

I have no knowledge of pc's so building one myself is not going to happen.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can advice on which games pc's are the best on the market. Im looking at a budget of around £800 but will stretch if anyone thinks a bit more money would make a good difference in quality.

Thanks for your time

Like this post
kent85

Likes # 0

sorry ment to post new topic

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

I have a Turbo cooling system in this quad core machine.....I have to clean the (easily removable) filters once a fortnight.

God knows where all the dust comes from...But they do an excellent job as nothing seems to get into the case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made