We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

amd 4850

citadel

Likes # 0

due next week expected to be cheaper than a 9800gtx but no ddr5 till 4870 later in the year.

Like this post
DrScott

Likes # 0

I think we'll have to see. The 9800 GTX+ is set to be a little more expensive than the 4850 but cheaper than the 4870.

ATI will have to produce something pretty special.

click here

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

4870 is here and it is a lot cheaper than gtx 280.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I bought a 3870 2 months ago. Very pleased with it but when you read reviews about the 4850 and 4870 it makes you think the 3870 isa slouch! Probably in less than 12 months timne the 4800's will look like the 3870 does now! Being an ATI fan, I'm pleased to see that they are now up with Nvidia.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Isn't all it's cracked up to be by all accounts. I'm sticking with my 8800GTX cards for now.

Years ago I was a bif ATI fan, but have been an Nvidia stalwart for some years now.

Like this post
pc613

Likes # 0

Here are Toms Hardware conclusions after testing the 4850

AMD Radeon HD 4850
A too-hasty launch, but a card with a red-hot performance/price ratio despite its use of a reworked architecture, now optimized and extremely effective at this price level. Despite its advance in presenting the GeForce 9800 GTX +, Nvidia has been bested for performance/price ratio and at this price level.

Pros
Optimized and corrected RV670 architecturePerformance on a par or slightly better than the GeForce 9800 GTX +Antialiasing often performs better than GeForce
Cons
Higher power use and temperature at idle

It will be interesting to see the results of the 4870 when they test it

John

Like this post
pc613

Likes # 0

sorry forgot link
click here

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I too was always an ati man but have now switched to Nvidia.I'm always surprised how power hungry the ATI cards are compared to their Nvidia equivalents.
And it seems that a lot of games seem biased towards Nvidia and configure their software accordingly.
Or am i paranoid?

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

looks like ati have put the wind up nvivdia, there is talk of price cuts on the 200 series.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination