We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do RTS games involve strategy?

gloombucket

Likes # 0

I'm wondering if the name 'Real Time Strategy' is wrong, the ones I've played involve tactics at best, and at worst you win by clicking quickly and not too inaccurately. At present I'm making do with Praetorians which is fun but too fast for an old gloombucket like me, and while I can't blame the authors for having it classified as RTS it seems to be strategy free. Any thoughts?

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

have you tried the turn-based strategy such as medieval total war as strategy is more important. you can use diplomacy etc, to gain ground. plus the are great battles when you take to the field.

Like this post
DrScott

Likes # 0

try any of the Total War series.

Or even Civilisation IV.

Strategy galore.

Like this post
AllThumbs

Likes # 0

First off, I'm not sure that Civ can be classified an RTS. It's turn based after all, not Real Time.

I think the RTS games do on the whole include strategy but combine it with speed of thought and an ability to juggle information.
World in Conflict is a prime example of a recent real time strategy game that requires serious application of resource management alongside battle tactics, fast clicking will get you nothing but dead soldiers rather quickly.

If you're looking for tactics without the realtime element then try Naked War click here or LaserSquadNemesis click here both of which are war by email games and give a good if frustrating accounting of themselves.

Like this post
gloombucket

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tips. For tactics I like Combat Mission.
click here_(computer_game_series)

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

My favourite srategic game remains the elderly Risk 2 by Microprose, based on the board game. I don't like them too complicated, and I find that most RTS games become yawn inducing click-fests all too soon.

Like this post
gloombucket

Likes # 0

Off topic but I once played a boardgame called something like Apocalypse or Armageddon, where capturing territories conventionally would earn plastic stages of nuclear missiles. You could use these to build lots of short range missiles or fewer longer range missiles. Missiles destroyed territories and could set off chain reactions through adjacent territories with missiles. It wasn't as simple as Risk, and perhaps not in the best possible taste but it was great fun.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer