We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Processor upgrades - skt 754

Marko797

Likes # 0

I have an Athlon 3400+ (yes, dated I know), and wondered of anyone knew if this was upgradeable?

I think it's skt 754, and am using Asus k8v se deluxe mobo - again dated.

Anyone know if it's possible?

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Almost exactly the same CPU (sempron 3400+) and board that my other pc has, that i have upstairs.
The largest cpu it will take is an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ which won't be much of an upgrade.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

mrwoowoo. looks like i'm gonna keep this until it explodes then

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Yep, then go for a socket AM2+ looking at a new one as I type abit AX78 deluxe (never used an abit board before.

SLI, AMD 770 chipset, etc. An AMD Phenom FX would do it justice I think.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

this would mean changing the mobo.

Spin off from this, to the best of my knowledge, is that I might have a prob with my XP Home (or do I just advise MS that I have upgraded my mobo so that I can still use it - XP Home, that is?).

Plus, have just upgraded my gfx to 3850 (AGP) and really pleased with it.

Question is therefore, what are the other 'problems' that I might encounter if I go for a AM2+chip (which chip could I go for?) & mobo upgrade?

I'd like to know what I'm up against, then make an informed decision.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Offcial line is : Change of mobo means new copy of Windows UNLESS you have a full retail version.

If your copy is OEM, then unless you can persuade Ms that your mobo "Blew" (and I'm not condoning this practice) then you would be faced with buying a new copy.

This would be a bit daft IMO now, as Vista is firmly with us.
If you buy a mobo / cpu bundle from the likes of Novatech, you would be able to buy a copy of the OS with it.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Quite a few to choose from here, easy company to do business with too.

click here

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

cheers for that.

Not as expensive as I thought!

Didn't know there were these 'bundles', which appear to make life a little easier.

So, in addition, would I just need a gfx card, and I'm good to go, or is there anything else which I might need?

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

from the sound card. I assume I could just transfer my current 7.1 Creative ZX card to the new mobo? Sorry for all the questions, but never ventured down this particular road.

Grateful for any pointers.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

You could, although a) most of the higher end boards come with high defenition 7.1 surround sound onboard. And b) Creative have big driver issues with Vista.

The onboard sound these day's has come a long long way. I don't buy soundcards for my own machines anymore. This one would plug into my Pioneer home theatre system if I could stand the wellie it produces.

Instead, I use a set of 5.1 surround speakers that I've had for years.....More than enough.

You will need to have @ least 2gb DDR2 or DDR3 ram (the 2 types need different boards to use) and as you correctly say a new graphics card or pair of them if you go down the SLI route.

Fast HDD's 250GB+ (2 is better than 1)

Other stuff like keyboard, mouse, monitor you already have. Remember that power supplies are critical to your build, and the more graphics power you have, the bigger the PSU needed. The new PCIE cards require extra power, drawn straight from the PSU via special connectors.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

I need to do a bit more background reading on this, but thnx all the same.

First impressions are that I could upgrade for around £200+, but then would need the gfx card, so maybe add c.£100.

It seems a sensible option instead of just binning what I have and going for a completely new machine, and then being left with lots of serviceable bits n pieces.

I'd want to keep XP, and naturally use the current HDDs. I'd also want to keep my 7.1 sound card/subwoofer/spkrs.

Am I right in assuming I would just plug this into the board and it would work, provided I have the right drivers?

The only issue is with OS, as far as I can see.

Didn't really want to go buying another version of XP, when I have it on my PC already. Maybe I can ring MS and see what they advise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia