We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

overclocking

mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Anyone overclocked their pc's and got a decent boost from it.
My one and onlt attempt was on my old pc.
I overclocked my amd sempron 3400+ by a measly 10% ( 2 GHz to 2.2GHz )as it tended to run a bit hot.
My Nvidia 8600GT was clocked by around 11%.Had to turn it down to 9% though as it kept crashing.
This only resulted in an extra 4FPS whilst playing games.
Not really any real benifit,although i could have gone higher with better cooling.
Will try clocking my Q6600 (2.4GHz) and my 9600GT at some point to see what i can push them to.
Anyone had any better or worse experiences overclocking?

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I know a lot of people rave about them but I was never particularly impressed with my Freezer 7 Pro. From memory my idle temperatures were around 18ÂșC above ambient. I replaced it with a Thermalright Ultra 120 which has a decent retention system although it does require motherboard removal to fit.

After saying that I also had to remove my motherboard to be sure that the pushpins were fixed correctly on the Freezer Pro as I found it was to easy to 'splay' the white plastic mounts.

I have also noticed slightly better results with Artic Silver thermal paste.

1.36V is reasonable but you may be able to run it at 3GHz with the same voltage it requires for stock settings.

My VID is 1.3125V but requires 1.43V for 3.3GHz which results in the temperatures i mentioned earlier.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I meant to say,even if i set to manual.
From what i've read on the forums,some people get good results with the pro 7 and others don't.
Yes i did splay one of the plastic mounts,so had to fiddle about to re set it.
Still 3GHZ will do for me.
Might have another look to see if i can lower the voltage a touch.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks