We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flight Simx

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Any flying enthusiasts amongst us? I used to fly regularly, and even tried ATC for a while (until I figured out that it was the reason for my constant tiredness!)

If enough people are interested perhaps we could meet up online and take on a few challenges.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and I'm your man.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I'm rubbish at FSX.Had it a few weeks and still can't land.Don,t think it's my forte'.
Think i'll stick to shooters(instant adrenalin)

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

It might sound daft, but it's not a bad place to start, I'm sure you can blag a half decent force-feedback joystick and a copy of the sim.

If you fly the training missions you should progress quite quickly..you start with a micro-lite and work your way up from there.

It's not necessary to ever fly heavy aircraft if you don't want to!

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

I must admit not to be a huge fan of flight sims as they make them to realistic,
You have to spend at least five minutes preparing for take off,

I prefer a more arcade approach to flying, i like to be in the action straight away with out all the confusing controls.

Mind you most of my flying experience was on GTA San Andreas with custom aircraft.

click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's the heavies I'm interested in. I must have spent at least a couple of years of my life in 747's and have been on the flight deck quite a few times - my brother in law is a 747 captain.

My wife has flown a final approach into Heathrow on the flight deck of a real aircraft, but I've never done that, and I fancy giving it a try - in a simulated sense.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

The heavy jets are surprisingly easy to fly, and land. It's all dependent upon how you set the realism and potential failure scenarios.

A 747 on a standard ILS approach to MOST airports (I'd give Hong Kong a miss if I were you at first, very tricky)

Using all the on-board avionics, and assuming they have not failed, the aircraft virtually lands itself.

Things to avoid are:

Rapid controller movements and rudder inputs

Slow and gentle, and because they are big heavy aircraft, they respond more slowly to input from the controls (a bit like a boat does to rudder input)

Did you see my posting on controller equipment in your welcome thread?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Oh, and nearly forgot....One of the most common errors for beginners is failure to put the landing gear down! Bad results are guaranteed if you don't :)

All you need to concentrate on is your glide slope, flaps and attitude...all can be learned quite quickly!

Like this post
sinbads

Likes # 0

Its the glide slope that foxes me, I know there is a feature to enable a visual guide with a series of hoops/squares ;but up to now have not been able to do this

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

It's not installed on this machine at the moment, but if memory serves...Options menu, navigation...thereabouts anyway...Will install later on and let you know for sure.

Like this post
sinbads

Likes # 0

Sorry i had assumed you already had FSX its uder airplanes in the menu bar as visual flight plan which opens up settings for the visual approach, somehow it dosn't work for me, happen time i've found out how to do this i'll be able to get the glide path right.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...