We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A somewhat belated, but warm welcome

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

to our new gaming forum. Those of you who are gaming fans asked so nicely, and so often that we felt you deserved your reward. I'm sorry there was a rather puzzling revival of our earlier, 2002 Games room yesterday; it was a case of us getting carried away with enthusiasm, and one of us (probably me) pushed the wrong button.

Anyway, we're here now, in a brand new, shiny forum, so have fun, and don't forget to click on the link at the top of the page to see the downloads we've put together especially for you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

without a degree of obsession in it? Careers and mortgages may be necessary evils, but playing is something that enriches our lives, and there should always be time for it.

When you have some spare time I recommend a book called 'Deep Play' by Diane Ackerman. The same author wrote a book called 'A natural history of the senses' which should be required reading in every A level English course.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

I just thought that with a Flight Simulator being such a complex beast that you may have been deterred by all the button presses, etc that you'll be required to commit to memory in order to achieve flight - especially considering that you can often do impossible things in games with much less in the way manual reading - but then, escapism was what drew me into games, you don't get to fight many dragons in real life...

Dear Mr. Egan, thank you for your response, and I promise it's nothing massive, just perhaps that you could potentially have a section for favoured gaming mods, and useful gaming accessories (click here - for example, and FRAPS, etc) - but if it's just me that would see the use of these things then obviously I accept that there's not much point in them!

Nice to be back, in a way (and always nice to be remembered, ghost or no)... It's just a shame that in the years between Games sections that I've developed one of those nasty career things, and also one of those mortgages - it does mean that I'll never quite reach the same levels of obsessive Gamesroom posting, but perhaps that's a good thing...

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Re-incarnation backwards :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Good to see you again - without your ghost.

(private joke - will be understood by forum old-timers).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

because I've been horrendously busy, and to be honest I haven't had much spare time - I've been sitting in 747s rather than flying them.

It's unlikely to get much better for a while, but when it does I'll be back to wiping out airports, rest assured.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

If you've got any ideas, let us know. There are no guarantees, but if you come up with something viable we can look into it. Bottom line: it's your site (all of you, not just Inept Pig...)

Matt Egan
Managing editor
PC Advisor

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

You may well be right as to the FE's choice of game.He seems to have gone quiet about it,so perhaps it's not his thing, although he has stated he doesn't get much time to play,so this could be the reason.
Someone send the FE a copy of C.O.D 4.That should convert him to gaming.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

Hello again.

It's been quite a while since the demise of the last Gamesroom, so it's nice to see that PCA are willing to give it another go - not sure about your choice of title to attempt to get into gaming Mr.FE, but then I guess it takes all sorts...

And, also, as well as that - the Games 'Topic Zone', do we have any say in the content of that and things that could potentially be added (nothing too flashy, honest) and have some sections compiled with member suggestions and the guidance of a PCA Overlord?

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

AS a 'PS' to above I once was allowed to 'steer' a 747 at the cargo bays at Heathrow many years ago. I had hired it to move some Expedition kit to S.America but even the ground trip was awesome. The Flight Sim version is pretty good at reliving the experience.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

The Logitech Extreme3D Pro is worth a try. I have used mine for a year now and no problems. With FSX it lets you get started with some early success on the simpler flying tasks-and is easily button programmable when you get into the hard stuff. Be sure and download update 1 from the MS FSX website but suggest you don't go further on download updates as I have found the next one a bit disruptive. Good luck!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite