We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A somewhat belated, but warm welcome

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

to our new gaming forum. Those of you who are gaming fans asked so nicely, and so often that we felt you deserved your reward. I'm sorry there was a rather puzzling revival of our earlier, 2002 Games room yesterday; it was a case of us getting carried away with enthusiasm, and one of us (probably me) pushed the wrong button.

Anyway, we're here now, in a brand new, shiny forum, so have fun, and don't forget to click on the link at the top of the page to see the downloads we've put together especially for you.

Like this post
Huffster

Likes # 0

Two screens!? Help...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

for a long time, but I've always found a reason not to plunge in - usually by teling myself that I don't have the time. If I'm honest (and why not?) I confess I've probably been deterred because I thought it would take forever to get into things, and I don't have a great deal of free time on my hands (you see? There I go).

With the launch of this forum I've no longer got an excuse, I must join you or be totally out of touch with what goes on, so I'm going to try to blag some games and a gamepad from anyone at the magazine who has any influence with the gaming world, and we'll see how I get on.

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

"5x more juice than my fridge"

click here take a look at a test.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Peter.

Don't make your first gaming experience a gamepad. try a first person shooter like FEAR DOOM or Crysis (that's a toughie though)

The first 2 can be played via keyboard and mouse, and lots of us here can help you if you get stuck.

Gamepads are a nightmare, I've tried but just can't get to grips with them.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Never mind Gamepads-Joysticks can be a nightmare too-especially if you are trying to land a 747 in fog,at night,on 3 engines at Heathrow in MS Flight Sim!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

...........But I can do that!! Just cannot get to grips with gamepads :)

I must polish up my flight sim skills again. Have yet to install it on this new machine, as I have to put up a small shelf for the joystick next to the table it's on.

If I had thought of it I would have got one in Tesco's this morning instead of browsing the games section.

Do you fly online?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Well, none of them consume as much power as my PC's!

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer,I am still much of a novice and certainly not skilled enough to go online. But it is fun to see how far one can get without crashlanding on Ruislip or The London Dome

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

a copy of Flight Simulator X is speeding my way, courtesy of the Microsoft Press office, so I'll get on the learning curve. I've actually spent a few hours on the flight deck of a 747, so it will be an interesting experience to do some hands on stuff.

I have a decent computer, what else do I need by way of hardware?

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I have had FSX for a few weeks and still can't land the 747 without taking everything out within a 5 mile radius.
I am normally ace with a gamepad,though apparently not with flight sims.
Mind you,i'm ok controlling the helicopter.
You need no other hardware at all, as you can play it with only the keyboard and mouse.Though this may make it less enjoyable and even harder.
Enthusiasts usually use a joy stick i believe which is more suited to flight sims.So perhaps you could treat yourself to one of those.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features