We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gaming on a laptop gets boost

Joe R

Likes # 0

ATI have released an external graphics add-on, for laptops, which will enable people who may have a decent spec' laptop, but onboard graphics, to play more powerful games, at a higher setting.

click here

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

This has been on the cards for a while. I'm sceptical as to whether or not it will be a success.

Like this post
Joe R

Likes # 0

belfman,

I suppose it will depend a lot, on the price, and how good the card is in "real life".

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

The only ones who will benefit or want it IMO are ones that bought laptops recently thinking they would cope or those that have ageing laptops. The latter will be price conscious to the point they may think - I might as well just buy a new laptop. The former might not be able to afford it if they could only get a basic laptop to start with.

No one will want to buy one of those from the off. The point of a laptop is portability... if they want a stationary gaming rig then it's best to go for a desktop.

As I said I'm sceptical.

Like this post
Joe R

Likes # 0

Some of the new laptops available, have a decent spec' for a cost of around £400, with dual core cpu's and 2Gb ram, and are only let down by the onboard graphics.

This may appeal to students, or anybody on a lesser budget, to upgrade their "lappy" to enable them to do some decent gaming.

belfman, i've got to admit, I too am sceptical, as I believe they may well be priced out of the market, for a while after release.

Like this post
Earthsea

Likes # 0

Smart money's on the AMD Fusion processor click here

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Can't see much benifit regarding ageing laptops.
If you wanted an external GPU then one assumes you must want to play fairly high spec games.
Alas an ageing laptop means an ageing CPU which is almost impossible to upgrade.Why upgade your GPU if the CPU negates any gain in performance you might get.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

As said you can get good laptops for excellent prices but they are always let down by the graphics. When I bought my laptop 18 month ago I paid almost a £1000 just so I could get a half decent graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 17" screen)Not the best on the market but it has played all the games I have thrown at it although not always with all the bells and whistles.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...