We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Business Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Business energy

BenJos

Likes # 0

Hello everyone.

I own a small business and I always used an EDF energy for business provider.

Recently my acquaintance advised me to revise all my computer machines in the office. He claimed that if I choose "cleverer" hardware it will help to reduce ours company's energy bill.

Could any of you advice me what that "cleverer" hardware could be? My company don't make any media editing, just some financial consulting to our customers, so we don't need superfast computers.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It is likely that, unless you have a couple of hundred PC running, any reduction in your Power Bill will be nullified by the cost of the Software needed and the amount of time wasted by Staff, as they wait for their PC to come back from Hibernation.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have just replaced one PC and screen and the power used went down from 90W to 78W so it would take a long time to get any appreciable saving. If you are using CRT monitors it might save slightly more per PC. The main saving could come from turning them off when not in use (overnight?)but it's still not that expensive to run 24/7 and the waste heat saves on heating the office!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If your existing machines were made within the past five years or so they will already be 'clever' as far as power-saving is concerned.

Don't leave them running all night, or at weekends.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded