We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Business Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Remote access without me present

aplanet

Likes # 0

I require a remote access where someone can connect to my computer without me being present. They can login and I can create multiple logins and track usage. And in ideal world they will get timed-out after given amount of time.

Any ideas of a software which can offer these features?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You're talking about a remote access server.

What will these remote users be doing on the server, and how many of them will there be - what resources will they be accessing? Give me a little more detail, and I'll offer some advice.

Like this post
aplanet

Likes # 0

I have some software which gets regularly updated and by allowing a couple of people to use it remotely on an unused computer it will save me from posting out discs everyone couple of months. Thanks for your help.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you.

It can be done, but in view of the fact that only a couple of people are involved a far simpler method might be to upload the updates to directory on your website server space, and use a .htaccess file to allow people to login and download that way.

This is an excellent and simple solution, provided the update file size is reasonable, and won't lead you into paying excess bandwidth charges.

Like this post
aplanet

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately that is not an option as its a 4gb dvd so thats why i'd like to go down the remote access route.

If it can be done, can you point me in the right direction. Perhaps recommend some software or do I simply need to lookup remote access servers?

thank you for your help

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

You need a Virtual Private Network to access your system remote from somewhere else.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"You need a Virtual Private Network to access your system remote from somewhere else."

No you don't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer