We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Business Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mates Rates

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Or to be more accurate, neighbours rates. With the uptake of wireless broadband (seems to have really taken off since christmas) I am getting a steady stream of neighbours politely asking me to configure new kit that they have purchased from the likes of PCW etc.

I have no issues with installing and configuring my own clients equipment, and the odd freebie is good for business.....However, I am getting a bit miffed at having to spend a portion of my weekend setting up wirless networks for aforementioned neighbours.

My staff suggest I should start saying things like "I'll book you in for next week at a time to suit you" (obviously at a price)

I know I'm a bit of a soft touch....Any diplomats in our midst?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and it has a pretty basic solution - there's no need for diplomacy. Just tell people that you'll do the work for your normal fee, and mention the figure.

I wouldn't spend part of any weekend working for nothing. If you have people working for you, get them to do it - it's called delegation.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

All well and good in theory, and we often work weekends anyway.....it's just that once you have sent a precedent (oh he did mine for free, give him a knock) it is more difficult to say no!

Not doing anything today expect watching Wales beat Italy, and France beat England :)

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Set not sent:)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

say that you're really partial to a Malt or Cognac, maybe a case of Bud or Pepsi, whatever. Perhaps something for your PC, say a Pen Drive or an iPod Nano.

Let them beat you down a bit, they'll feel really chuffed and that they got a bargain.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

was never to work for friends. I'm happy to provide free advice, or even to do things, provided no money (or anything else of significant value) changes hands.

Neighbours don't always count as friends, so they would be expected to pay the same as anyone else.

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

Taking advantage is what it is called.

"precedent (oh he did mine for free, give him a knock) it is more difficult to say no!"

Think of it this way... the ones you did for free where just an introductory offer and start charging now that the requests for service are increasing.

Like this post
eoinrua

Likes # 0

Setting up wireless is a misery. I tend to work on a barter principle: I set up their wireless, but they do something for me.

I did my share of upgrades free of charge but then I caught myself on.

You change my glowplugs and I'll re-format your hard-drive.

Don't be soft.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

I could get a good gardener :) out of this, but will start charging I think....Part of this stems from the from, that since the death of my wife (and the kids long since grown and flown) I suppose people feel it is easier to try me as I have no family commitments.

Starting tommorow, no more freebies, If I offend anyone then so be it...Reclaim the weekends!

Like this post
Noels

Likes # 0

But I have a very close friend, now retired from the IT business who had his evenings and weekends
ruined by being called upon to sort other people problems.
He now says I charge £** an hour (even to very close friends). Anyone wanting his services weighs up whether £** an hour is worth it.
Its cut his wasted time to nil and I believe it still provides him with a legitimate income.
Regards
Noels

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites