We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Business Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email server

jtt

Likes # 0

I'd be interested in people's opinions on email servers. Exchange is pretty expensive. There are some free ones around. Has anyone tried any? I'm thinking of one to cover around 3 people working on different PCs across three different rooms. They currently get the same emails via Outlook on each computers, and as a result, it's tricky for them to know who has replied to what. They want to keep a single email address since they have to cover for one another.

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

click here

will set up an online demo and post link here

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

username:demo
password: demouser

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

and it is free

any questions please ask

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

it is the same system as Sky use

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Also considered "hosted" exchange - you will find people offering this from a few pounds per user per month. They will do backups etc. etc. - it depends how much control you want over the data and the server.

Here's a couple of reviews of other (commercial) alternatives:

click here

click here

Also, what about considering Open Source options (allegedly "free" !) ?

Here's an article on that:

click here

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You can build a very cheap mail server, which can incorporate spam filters, anti-virus software and just about anything else you want.

Like this post
jtt

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies - I'll take a look over the next few days.

With the google one, do you have to use gmail/googlemail email addresses? That doesn't look very business like if so.

Linux may be perfect, but the though of having to learn another operating system and have an extra PC makes it a no-no for me.

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Google will allow you to point a domain at it - it used to be called GAFYD (Google Apps For Your Domain) - it may be called something different now but you setup google then aim your DNS records at it and it is reasonably transparent that you are using google.

The downside is, and we found this, business people don't seem to like using google mail/calendar much when compared to - for example - the features of Outlook and Exchange combined. You also don't have the control over the data and the backup/DR aspects of it.

Google would be my last option out of those described above.

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

jtt

in answer to your question and if you look at my posts above you use your own domain, you should try the demo i have set up, then you can see how it works, even though i cannot control backups I stil feel safe and email and calander has not gone down, the email address for the demo is demo@spyouth.com.

I found out that Sky are using the google apps system.

silverous

this is the system that i use, please checkout the demo i have created

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer