We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Business Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Accounting Package

avesnes1

Likes # 0

Has any member any knowledge/experience of a product called "turbocashuk"? It is open source software and (I think?) free to download and use.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Linux provides a number of free accounting packages capable of providing support for a medium sized business.

GNUCash is probably one of the best known click here and more recently, one that comes to mind is NolaPro click here which if you're into reselling products, can be set up as a point of sale system, along with the accounting package. NolaPro can be used on Linux or Windows.

wee eddie's point has merit and a lot of accountants use Sage, which is good, but pricey. However, most new businesses accounts will not be so complex as to alter cost drastically and if the accountant you choose tells you otherwise, I would suggest you take another look at your choice of accountant.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

would be to start with a couple of simple of Spread Sheets. But it depends, very much, on the type of business and ones aspirations.

If you chose a package that your Accountant cannot read, e.g. No Staff Member trained to use it, one could be talking about adding about £500 to your Audit Fee and being shuffled to the end of the queue.

Unless the business is never going to reach the VAT Threshold or have any employees. I would advise you to take your Accountant's advice.

If you don't have an Accountant ~ get one!

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

If you want a simple ledger and cash book, backed by excellent support (even, in my experience, for "free" users) I can recommend:

click here

To give an example of the reasonable and excellent support provided for it, we wanted to extract some data from it into an office application and the developer offered to develop a custom extract for us for the price of a "professional" version of the software - which was not a lot of money at all.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

but in your first post in this thread FE, you say;

"it wants to install itself in the root of your C drive by default, and that's an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned"

I'm curious as to why it's a no-no. I assume it's for more than reason of "tidyness"?

I use Quicken 2000 , for personal use. Perhaps interestingly this defaults to the root of C, rather than the program files folder. This has never casued me any problems. Have I just been lucky?

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

As the FE says - it hints at a DOS history as all modern programs should install to Program Files. I'm not sure, if it served the requirement, I'd go quite as far as to say it was an absolute no-no but I believe FE was referring to that as a practice rather than turning down the app based on that point alone. I shouldn't speak for the FE but I think that's the point.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

What's the problem with a DOS history?
Why should they install to "program files"?

I can see tidyness being useful, but what other problems are there, if any?

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
bennboy_760

Likes # 0

I would suggest you check out KashFlow accounting package (click here),

Much cheaper than Quickbooks, Quicken etc and has easy to use GUI interface)

I use it, so I guess im biest

Regards

Bennyboy

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

I think the DOS History was a reference to legacy applications and technologies. That may or may not concern you, there are a couple of things to consider on that:

i) If it works, and it ain't broke, don't fix it

ii) If it is "legacy" (DOS based/DOS history) is it being actively developed and improved and supported, and if not does that bother you.

I suspect it was more (ii) than a comment on tidyness which is of little value in and of itself in this situation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes