We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Mobile Phone Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

use a cellphone as modem

angietkd

Likes # 0

I want my next mobile phone to act as my internet connection for my home devices. What Phone? Best provider? Best deals? Where do I start?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It may cost you a fortune and almost certainly more than getting a broadband deal. Have a close look at internet data charges. See how much a 3G dongle costs. I would not connect more than one device to a phone.

Like this post
angietkd

Likes # 0

woolwell

thanks for your response Is it that cellpohone technology is not there yet or that providers are not willing to let go of connection revenues such as bt phone lines or cable.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The mobile providers want to make as much as they can and charge a lot for mobile data.

Like this post
angietkd

Likes # 0

Thought so

I don't mind them making a profit but deliberate restriction on the use of technology through extortionally high charges is immoral. Except for those fortunate enough not to have to live on a small budget. thanks for your posts

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It is not a question of being immoral. The bandwidth available on mobile phone networks is limited so they have to try and limit usage so everyone can use it.

It was only a couple of yeatrs ago that iPhone contracts had unlimited data, that has stopped because the system simply could not cope.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Buy an Android phone with v2.2 (Froyo) or later (2.3 is Gingerbread). This will allow you to operate the phone as a WiFi hotspot and you (or others) can log onto the internet using the WiFi facility on your computer device. Android Tethering now supports Infrastructure so you can have the hotspot running 802.11g with WPA encryption. You can also use MAC filtering to exclude unwanted users. I use my ZTE Racer phone, running v2.3 of Android, as a WiFi hotspot to allow my Android tablet to access the internet when I can't get free WiFi. I can also connect my W7 laptop to the Android phone with WiFi. I've noticed many iPhone users trying to piggyback onto my Android Tether without success.

My ZTE Racer is on '3' and was free with a contract costing £12/month. This gives phone/SMS/internet (the latter is 500 MB/month and is plenty for occasional use).

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Yep, so can the iPhone act as a Wifi hotspot. SWMBO has one on "Three's" All You Can Eat Data Plan.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Use it as a wifi hotspot and watch the battery level decrease. Fine if it is connected to a charger at the same time.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Good point about the battery in Hotspot mode. I have my Android on charge whilst using it as an hotspot.

If you look at the cost of a dongle's running costs then using your phone can look very attractive in comparison - but this depends upon how much data you will use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features