We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Mobile Phone Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mapping Data Usage?

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Does anyone know whether the 1gb of data per month that most providers offer is plenty for a smartphone to use for satnav use in a commercial vehicle, something like 50 hours per week?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which satnav app?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps I have unlimited data with my package.

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

I use an app called 3G watchdog on my android phone,once set up it monitors my usage (I only have 500MB) and gives total to date and an estimate of what you expect to use within the date range set.

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

(grrr no edit key), depends on which satnav app you intend to use. i use Google Navigation and it doesn't seem to eat much data.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Google on Android on an HTC desire.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look at the last post on this thread Google support forum. Based on that the 1 Gb is insufficient. The problem is that the map isn't stored on the phone and has to be downloaded. There are other apps that store the map.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I did a comparison using Google Navigator on my smartphone and my TomTom. I found that the satnav on the phone wasn't as accurate and the voice was irritating. If you lose signal then you're stuck. Street view just as you approach your destination is fun though.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks for that link Woolwell, it's as I suspected, that am app using maps stored on the phone will be the better option.

Any recommendations for that anyone?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just found this map caching app, has anyone used it? It looks to be an OK idea.

Map Cache app

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A rival mag in their July 2011 edition did a review comparing stand-alone satnav and satnav apps. Their recommendation was for a TomTom standalone. For iPhone they recommended TomTom app and for Android CoPilot Live 8 but neither are free. CoPilot Live stores maps on the phone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded