We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Mobile Phone Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet on laptop- short (or no) contract??

DANZIG

Likes # 0

Hi.

I've seen adverts from various company's for a little thing that sticks in the side of a laptop and (using a mobile phone) enables internet access anywhere.

I like that idea, but don't want it for a year or whatever the minimum contract is.

All I would want it for is maybe a couple of months when I'm on holiday.

Does anyone know of any company that does such a thing?

Thanks.

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

If you were going to look down the hotspot option (even though this wouldn't really suit the OPs situation) - I would look at signing up for FON

Not to mention, you get a free FON router with a new subscription to PCAdvisor. If you agree to share your router with other users of the FON network, you can use other peoples when on the move.

All 100% secure as well

click here

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

Just to advise:

Just purchased the 3 mobile Usb modem.

Worth every penny. £99 for the modem, plus £15 for 30 days use - limited to 3gb

3gb equates to 3 hours full usage over 30 days. I wont be using it for 30 days in a month, more like 15-20, so I'm sure I wont hit 3gb.

Highly recomended to all. Easy setup, easy to use.

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

EDIT:

Mis-typed the usage figures.

The guy in the shop said 3gb means using it for 3 hours a day, every day for 30 days.

Sorry if I confused anybody.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I set-up a two year contract with 3 @ £15 a month and the modem was free and it is worth saying that as far as i know t-mobile and 3 share the same network so you should get good coverage in the future. Just keep an eye on the meter and post back if you are able to, an average days usage realtime. I am allowed 3 gig per month. If this works out well I could cancel my home broadband contract. The 3 dongle can be used on a PC just as well.

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

I have had some time to play with the dongle now and have the following things to point out:

* The dongle doesnt like firewalls, espiecally during installation

* Dont remove the SIM card from the dongle... EVER - it causes hardware problems that take ages to sort out (it involves removing the software and reloading back on and setting the dongle back up again)

* The dongle can go very very slow sometimes

* The in-built software isnt as accurate and detailed as I'd have hoped - you have to rely on 3's interpretation of your usage using My3

* HOWEVER, accessing My3 is free. In fact, the whole of the 3 website is free to access and doesnt count as part of your usage. So you can top up and check your web balances for free

Like this post
Acx

Likes # 0

I must admit I read about Fon a few months ago and thought it sounded good (if it takes off and you can move around with ease). I might try it in the future.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features