We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Mobile Phone Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPhone launch flops in UK

dms05

Likes # 0

How come the BBC were so taken in that they ran PR messages masquerading as hard news on main TV bulletins?

No one turned up for the 'event'. click here

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

When [and if] Apple or O2 release sales figures we'll see if it was a flop.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

the phone + contract costs too much for most people.

Like this post
Sebby

Likes # 0

It's true that we won't truly know if it was a flop until sales figures are released.

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was. I'd imagine that many people thought about it like I did. I loved the idea of an iPod and mobile in one. But, whether I have the money or not, I won't pay £280, nor will I pay a what O2 are asking for poor tariffs. Yes, you get 'unlimited' data, but there are other important things in a tariff.

So, I'm happily sticking with my Sony Ericsson K850i on T-Mobile Flext and new 3G iPod Nano. :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

that sales figures are poor - the phone isn't particularly innovative in technology terms. In addition it's over-priced and the marketing policy is badly flawed. Apple has made the mistake of thinking it can enter a new market sector and clean up, but I fear the company is in for a surprise - the iPhone has to compete with some very good products, and in my opinion it just doesn't measure up.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

They reviewed the iPhone on last weeks Gadget show and it didn't do very well.
It was compared to a normal mobile and lost out on ease of use, picture taking and suprisingly playing music.
Its only saving grace seemed to be the screen manipulation gadgets and its attractive styling. Even Jason who was keen to try it, seemed rather disappointed with its performance.

I was suprised that the built-in camera was such a low spec and the touch screen keyboard made texting tricky. Surely the two core functions of a mobile phone nowadays.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I had a go of one in a local O2 shop today and I must admit I wasn't too impressed with it.

The first thing that struck me was how large it actually is. Although slim, the size of the face is deceivingly large and I imagine that will put a lot of people off it.

After having a little play around with it, I tried writing a text message and found the on-screen keyboard very difficult to use. I wouldn't like to have to write many text messages on one.

I think Apple have done a good job in changing the way you navigate a phone but once the novelty of the touch-screen wears off, it's a pretty standard phone with features that you can get on other phones for much less and I agree with FE's comments on that Apple may be in for a surprise.

Like this post
Jimmy14

Likes # 0

"the phone isn't particularly innovative in technology terms."

CORRECT

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Isn't particularly innovative in technology terms? I assume you must mean that the technologies utilised already exist in various other devices? That's rather obvious though isn't it? When the iPod came out I'm sure all technology aspects of it were already available in other devices, surely it is the combination of them in one product which is worth talking about?

Having played with one at the weekend I'd say the combination of technologies in a single package is just about the only thing it DOES have going for it - how many other phones are an 8GB Mp3 player and have a large high quality touch screen with such an intuitive interface and a web browser that actually works ? Or display photographs and movies so well?

There's no doubt it is an innovative device, I just think it is too expensive and not good enough as a phone/camera. I'm sure there'll be enough sales to tide apple over. If not they'll start discounting it I'm sure - there's nothing new with that, look at the ps3. Doesn't mean it is a failure/flop.

I'm not a big fan of the iPhone but I wouldn't be putting money on it being a flop, people will buy them at a price. No doubt iPhone 2 will be along before long.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I meant exactly what I said - the iPhone isn't innovative in technology terms, yet Apple claims otherwise.

The phone uses a slow mobile data service called EDGE. It works on a 2.5-generation network rather than the current 3.5-generation, making it at least four times slower than your current handset.

The battery life is appalling, and the iPhone is the only mainstream phone on the UK market that won't let you change its battery.

The iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera - the Nokia N95 has a 5 megapixel camera - and can't record video. It also has no auto-focus.

The iPhone's Bluetooth configuration means it can only connect with Apple headsets.

The Safari browser doesn't support Flash and Java

The phone doesn't allow custom ringtones.

The phone only works with a single network provider, you can't unlock it and still retain the warranty.

I call that not being particularly innovative in technology terms. It looks lovely, I'll grant that, but a handsome exterior and display aren't enough.

Like this post
dms05

Likes # 0

Spot on FE.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites