We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows Vista "Unidentified Network" and"Local access only"

lockie7

Likes # 0

I am being driven crazy, PLLLLEEESSSEE Help. My laptop, running Windows vista Basic, shows that it is connected to the internet with Excellent signal strength both wireless and ethernet. However it says "Unidentified Network" and "Access: Local Only" and is not really connected to the internet. My Tower computer (on Windows XP) is connected, that is what I am using now. My MAC IPad is connected fine. I recently changed my Router to TP-LINK through my local provider (Don't want to call him out to fix it as it will cost me an automatic 50 Euros). I live in Spain. I have tried all sorts eg disabling IvP6 etc but no internet. Can anyone out there please help me.

Thanks, Jim

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

Are you using a VPN program? That sometimes makes the pc say local only. Can you open websites in IE or connect to the xp computer by tiping \computername in the adress bar. If you can don't worry. If not in routers web interface disable MAC address filtering.

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

Forgot to say. If using netgear router go to 192.168.0.1 in IE to get into web interface

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes