We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows has renamed my external hard drive? Help.

athleticpete

Likes # 0

I recently turned off my external hard drive and ran windows vista without connecting it. Now that I have turned it back on the drive latter has changed from F to G even though the usb connection was never removed. Is there an easy way to change it back as now Itunes cannot find any of my music and Photoshop cannot find any of my photos. I realise I could rebuild the libraries but this seems a very long winded way of solving the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You should be able to do this easily -

In Vista, you can use the Disk Management console to manage the drives on your computer. You can assign any letter between E and Z to a hard disk drive while letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives C your boot drive and D usually for a CD/DVD drive.

To access the Disk Management console, right click Computer and select Manage. Under Storage, click Disk Management. The drive configuration of your computer will be displayed in the details pane. You can change the drive letter by right clicking any volume and selecting Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click the Change button and use the drop down arrow to select the drive letter you want to assign to the volume. Click OK. Click Yes to confirm your actions.

Make sure that your external drive is plugged in before you do this so that it will show up.

Like this post
athleticpete

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your help difarn. It worked perfectly.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news - glad to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses