We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista takes ages to allow entry of wake up password

dsmail

Likes # 0

When Vista wakes up at the login screen, I have a long wait before it allows me to enter my password. Is there a way this delay can be shortened.

Thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are all of your drivers up to date, particularly the graphics driver?

Like this post
dsmail

Likes # 0

Yep, all drivers up to date. I have a hunch it's to do with 2 USB HDDs that go to sleep with Vista and the system may be waiting for them to waken up. I could try disabling their sleep modes I suppose.

Thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes that is very possible - every time your PC wakes up it has to go through the process of loading everything. You could consider changing the number of start up programmes until after boot-up/log in.

Like this post
dsmail

Likes # 0

Sounds interestng - how do I do that?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Go to

Start - Run - type in msconfig - enter - you will see a start up tab - the programmes that start are there and you can edit them.

Like this post
dsmail

Likes # 0

I'm familiar with msconfig, but I can't see how programmes in the "Startup" tab could be configured to run pre or post login. Thanks

Dave

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Unchecking the boxes will remove those programmes that automatically start up on your system on boot-up. You may like to read this article. This may also have a bearing on the amount of time that you have to wait before you can enter your password upon wake-up.

Like this post
dsmail

Likes # 0

It's a matter of finding out what items in startup are really necessary. I've been through this list many times and some items are obvious and some not. Perhaps it's trial and error (with the entries that are not obvious) to discover what can be eliminated to possibly speed things up.

I've been through "Services" as well to try and cut down to a minimum what runs automatically at startup. Every system will be different though depending on what's installed.

Thanks for the article link - interesting reading. I'll give that go.

Dave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features