We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall Vista

happyhotspur

Likes # 0

I am having several problems with my windows vista not least that I think the Registry has become corrupt as windows installer wont work (I have posted for help but everything I have tried has failed.

I am also experiencing other strange problems, So I think I need to do a clean install of vista.

I have saved all my files, pictures, e-mail contacts and video's to disc, but would it be better to carry out a clean install or should I format the hard drive first, and what is the best way to carry out either operation.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Well I installed MSE onto clean install,
click here

as it promises total compatability with Windows (XP/Vista/W7).

It's vital to have only one security package running that resides in RAM. On demand stuff like Malwarebytes should be OK but you MUST turn off real time scanning of MSE when you run them.
My test is to occasionally image the HDD and then load it up with security and scan but that's never found anything... and then of course go back to the clean image.
No reg cleaners :)
I benchmarked the system (boot times, shutdown etc) so unless something untoward happens I am not going looking for trouble this time. Using only Windows tools to manage Disk maintenance etc. The trouble with reg cleaners is that unless you know for 100% sure what each key is that you might delete it "may" be something that Windows may need again. Had odd unexplained failures using CCleaner that were not immediately apparent, obscure things breaking.

If you export the registry it's huge... many 10's of mb's in size. If you run CCleaner for example and it finds even a 100 entries the size of those will only be a few kb at most... pretty insignificant and they just might be needed :)

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Once again many thanks I have now installed MSE only and will see how it goes, seems a bit weird after all this time not having either AVG or Avast running but what's the point of seeking advice if you are not going to take it.

once again many thanks

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

MSE is good :) Lot's of FAQ's etc here,
click here

Think you will be surprised how little it impacts on performance.

The default settings are fine... the way it does scheduled scans "weird"... have a read at,

click here

It seems the scan occurs within a 60 minute window centered on the set time... and is normal. Make sure you have "start scan when PC not in use" UNTICKED in settings or you might be waiting forever.
It all seems to know what it's doing and works silently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features