We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

programs not responding

conrail

Likes # 0

using vista home premium 64 bit, amd phenom 8450 tripple core processor 2.10 Ghz, 500 mgb hd with 2 external hd's 4 gb ram suddenly started to get "program not responding" on just about every program I open, also appears to take ages to close down, all help and advice gratefully accepted

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Have you tried cleanig the Machine CCcleaner is an excellent program Also when ws the last time you defragged.

Like this post
mfletch

Likes # 0

Also run your antivirus program and antispyware programs to see if the computer in infected or not,

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for reply Kevscar, have used ccleaner, also have ashampoo magical defrag 2 running in the backgrouns, again thanks mfletch, have also run avast, asquared spybot and adaware

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

How much space left on your harddrive. Try moving some programs to the external if it's getting full.
Also try running as administrater and see if they work then.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks Kevscar, have moved everything from external hd to desktop, formatted drives and I am going through everything one by one to get rid of things I don't need, before doing this I had 36 Gb of 500Gb used, will try running as admin next time I get the problem and rerun the progam as administrator

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Sometimes I forget to clean things up. Started cyberscrub and found I had 571.69Gb in the recycle bin. It's been running for 40 hrs now and only 90% done. Think I'll be a lot faster when it finishes

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks Kevscar, I will try that, I have two programs that do that sort of thing, ccleaner and ashampoo winoptimizer but I will try anything to improve my pc

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

problem seems to have resolved so thanks to all for help and suggestions, I appreciate it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features