We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deleting cumulative updates from Vista?

tomei

Likes # 0

If the latest updates includesall the previous updates, can the old updates be deleted?
Can I delete the 2007, 2008 security updates, hot fixes etc and leave the 2009 updates?
What is best way to deal with these Windows updates please? I thought Norton would deal with this but apparently not! Suggestions PLEASE!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Why not let Vista sort this out?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You can delete old files applicable to SP1 and SP2. Just search "clean up SP1 vista" and same for SP2. These tools, which are built in to Vista are run as a command line prompt and WILL make the service packs permanent i.e. you cannot uninstall them or use system restore to go back prior to there install.
I've run these tools and it frees up considerable HDD space.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Why implicate Norton?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

1. VISTA SP1 INSTALLED
There is a ‘run-once’ program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it. Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much disk space you have reclaimed.

2. VISTA SP2 INSTALLED
If you have SP2 installed and are happy with its performance, you can use the Microsoft program compcln to remove files that SP2 has replaced. NOTE that once this program has been run you will not be able to remove SP2. To determine the disk space saved, have a look at the Properties (numbers and sizes of folders and files) in the \Windows folder both before and after running the program.

To run it, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type %windir%\system32\compcln.exe and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

If you want to know which files have been removed, Copy & Paste and run the following dir(ectory) commands, the first one before running compcln and the second after running it:
dir "%windir%\" /b/s/a:-d>"%userprofile%\desktop\FilesBefore.txt"
dir "%windir%\" /b/s/a:-d>"%userprofile%\desktop\FilesAfter.txt"

Like this post
tomei

Likes # 0

Thanks for help. I do use frequently 'free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files' but no good for Window systems. I'm not 101% sure about using clean up SP1 and SP2 at the moment but keep copy of what to do. Why does Windows not just overwrite their files for updating? By the time I get to 2020 if alive, no space will be available at all!

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Just in case it's not clear on the Vista SP2 cleanup, I should have said double-click FilesBefore.txt then FilesAfter.txt on the Desktop to display the differences.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just a little off the original topic, I recently played around with a clean install of Vista HP. It took around 10gb give or take of space. By the time all the updates were done as far as SP2, and disc cleanup had been run (Not service pack cleanups), that was getting on toward 18+gb.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer