We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop with Vista - any tips?

Goofyish

Likes # 0

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Dell laptop which will have Vista Home Premium installed.

I've never used Vista but have read and heard good and bad reviews.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to make the Vista experience as painless as possible (apart from putting XP on the laptop LOL)?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I have to disagree with peter99co - ZoneAlarm firewall is fine with Vista

click here

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

The list I searched came from "skidzy". I saw it said XP only but have no knowledge of using this program myself.

Like this post
Goofyish

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the tips so far :)

I've looked on the Zone Alarm website and it does say that the free Zone Alarm s/w is OK for Vista 32bit but not the 64bit version.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

How much RAM does your new computer have?

My wife's Vista HP laptop came with 1GB, and it didn't take long for the machine to become grindingly slow. An upgrade to 2GB of RAM cost me less than £20, and has made a real difference.

It's well worth the small expense.

Like this post
Goofyish

Likes # 0

I've got 3Gb of RAM, which seems ok.

Laptop arrived this morning and so far everything OK. Getting used to Vista and so far I quite like the new interface.
Connection to my home wifi went smoothly and all my software installed with no problems.
I have chosen Avast as my anti-virus software and at the moment have I have stayed with Windows own firewall - although may change if I have any problems.

Thanks for all the tips.

Like this post
timd1978

Likes # 0

I don't know about anyone else but when I tried to take off AVG (pre-installed when bought) to put another virus killer on, I could not do it so ended up doing a complete reset to get rid of it. Nightmare! I would personally avoid AVG because of this.

Like this post
Bertie B

Likes # 0

I don't have any problems with Vista - it came pre-installed with my Laptop and I've happily run it alongside my old Desctop PC running XP. In fact until I recently upgraded my old PC to Vista Basic our home network consisted of several XP PCs networked with my Vista Laptop - no probs at all - the transition to Vista is a relatively natural progression and painless. I agree with a previous post in that I find running Vista in Classic View makes the transition easier and I too have kept it in Classic View.

Never understood why people get so uptight about Vista!!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

people get so uptight about Vista!! I think because they ran the beta and not the finished product I was like that till I moved to vista last year now converted. Also some have tried running vista on low spec pc's or with only 1Gb of RAM.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

No so, sunnystaines. I never ran the beta, but got to know Vista when my wife bought a laptop with it preloaded.

I don't say it's a bad OS. I simply say that its heavy hardware demands give no real reward, other than a fancy GUI.

XP is leaner and more efficient.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings