We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop with Vista - any tips?

Goofyish

Likes # 0

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Dell laptop which will have Vista Home Premium installed.

I've never used Vista but have read and heard good and bad reviews.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to make the Vista experience as painless as possible (apart from putting XP on the laptop LOL)?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Use it for a while before changing any settings at all.

If you do change a setting write down the change and keep it safe so you can change it back.

It is not painful to use just get used to the way it operates for a while.

Some things are slower but it should not be a problem.

Install the forum recommended anti virus and malware programs. Keep up to date with all microsoft updates.

Enjoy the change.

Like this post
Goofyish

Likes # 0

I use AVG and Zone Alarm on my other XP laptop and desktop - are these OK for Vista?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

AVG is fine but I would look on the forum for a comprehesive list which is published now and then.

This list was found in a quick search. all free

AVG AV
Superantispyware
Zonealarm (xp only)
Spywareblaster
Spybot search and Destroy
Ccleaner
Winaso
PCWizard 2008
SIW

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Make sure you have a VHP installation disc in case you need it in the future. I think Dell supply them as standard but not absolutely sure.

If not, make a set from your backup software.

Good advice from peter99co - heed it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i found several dvd's would not play so installed K-Lite codec pack now they all play ok [these played ok in xp though]

also jk defrag is better then the vista defrag
auslogics reg defrag, eusing reg cleaner, ccleaner

all these free downloads

i quickly got to like vista

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

goto local library or buy "vista insideout" an excellent book about vista for all levels.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

you can get kaspersky internet security 2009 oem for about £13, it has everything all in one and updates itself often. been running it for months on vista 64 and never had to open it.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Don't fiddle too much is my advice. Vista's great, use one good security package, I use FSecure (under 20 quid Amazon) and turn OFF Windows defender. Never had any malware issues.
CCleaner is good.
Consider investing in Acronis TI if it doesn't have an image backup utility provided. It's a total lifesaver, needed it today with IE8 problems. If you make incremental backups be sure to turn OFF Vistas auto defragmenter (as it makes each incremental huge) and just run it very occasionally.
Try disabling Aero... I find it all much better with sharper resolution.
And do as Sunnystaines says, books and more books.
And enjoy !

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

You have the option to change everything to classical view, start menu etc this makes everything look just like XP. I found this so much easier I have kept it that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features