We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Vista Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've seen the future

Kate B

Likes # 0

Many of you have had a chance to get up close and personal with Vista through the betas, but I hadn't seen it in action until today when I spent a couple of hours with some guys from Microsoft and I'm really impressed: it looks great, I particularly like the way it handles photographs and I'm really looking forward to getting it on my machine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There's a Freudian slip in there somewhere, I swear there is.

Like this post
cowboy62

Likes # 0

i have run vista rc it looks good handles quite well on my machine but i think i will wait a while be for installing it give it a chane to settle down and hopefully some of the bugs will be ironed out and more software will be come available for it

Like this post
gudgulf

Likes # 0

I hope your uber pc also has an X-Fi sound card.

If it doesn't only games supporting Open AL will have hardware accelerated positional sound.

click here

click here

If you have onboard sound or an Audigy class soundcard then be prepared t spend a bit more on your pc!

Thankfully,although I am on Socket 478 with an AGP (Gainward GS7800+) graphics card,I have an X-Fi Extreme Music so will still be ok for Vista gaming.......But I bet this is going to annoy a lot of gamers with otherwise decent rigs.

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

Next upgrade for my PC = X-Fi card, if full 3D sound works it'll be great. My Realtek chip doesn't produce full surround in Vista (Only DVD's & DVB-T)so a dedicated sound card is called for.

Like this post
A&D

Likes # 0

Are all the 3rd party software programs that run on XP guaranteed to run on Vista? I remember a long list of incompatibilities being posted when XP first appeared but I have not seen anything for Vista.

Like this post
Kate B

Likes # 0

That's down to the companies that produce the software, not Microsoft.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I find it really strange that the lack of OS compatibility with third part software is seen as a problem which is placed at the door of MS.

Similar things have been said about IE7. The truth is Vista and IE7 have been in the development and Beta stage for a long time. One of the purposes is to allow others to adopt software which will be compliant. In truth from what I have seen a good number of issues for IE7 were covered by the release notes which I imagine have gone unread by many.

Either things will work or they will not. I have no problem accepting that say my expensive alloy wheels on one car will not fit on another car from the same manufacturer.

MS in turn obviously will have a problem if the level of incompatibility is excessive which leads in turn to slower Vista adoption rates.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

adopt = adapt

Like this post
A&D

Likes # 0

"a problem which is placed at the door of MS"
I don't think I said it was MS problem but for anyone who has bought a few hundred pounds of software over the past few years it is of some interest. As for IE7, I had two programs that were clobbered and I admit that I did not read the release notes because I do like going outdoors sometimes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features