We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview through mini dish rather than aerial?

car nut

Likes # 0

Hi

I've currently got an Amstrad digibox (crap) which I got when I subscribed to Sky, which I no longer do. I'm considering getting a Freeview box but my problem is that I live in a "dip" where the tv aerial suffers interference from passing trains and tree foliage. I watch bbc1+2, itv,c4,c5 through the digibox for this reason.

Is it possible to connect the freeview box to the mini dish?

Thanks

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

That's the service that I originally suggested and have been using for nearly a year. It's great value for anyone who can't get aerial reception in their area. Though it beats me why Sky has apparently relaunched it as a "new" service when it first started last year!

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

Don't know if you got the Sky service but its webpage information is misleading, stating that Freeview only offers a total of 58 TV and radio channels.

I receive my DTV Freeview signals from Winter Hill and there are 82 TV and radio channels (including some encrypted TopUpTV channels).

TopUpTV doesn't provide each of its channels throughout the day; if you notice the times they are on air they are interlinked so that when one stops another starts.

Bit like the two BBC children's channels which switch to BBC Three and Four from 7pm.

A Freeview set top box has separate channels for these whilst a Freeview PCI TV card only tunes in one channel to show, for instance, CBBC and BBC Four as appropriate timewise.

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

It's worth noting that Freesat does not offer E4 and More4. Fans of The West Wing may be dissappointed!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes