We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ipad3 compatible external hard drive

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Firstly I know nothing about ipads and this is for a Christmas present.

My son has expressed a suggestion as a gift of an external hard drive to download the content of his ipad and free up space. He understands the type would need to be a WiFi unit and believes there is no compatibility with a standard USB connector to transfer data.

As I have searched Amazon and seen several customer reviews that indicate external hard drives which are claimed to be compatible fail to perform the function, can anyone either provide more information or recommend a unit which is guaranteed (preferably by experience) to perform correctly and simply with an ipad.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

Kingston Technology 64GB Portable Storage Wi-Drive . I use this one for all my tablets. There are more available of differing sizes. Not sure if apple phones will connect, might be worth a search for confirmation

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

Just had a peep and the Blurb on Amazon say this id compatible with iPhone.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your reply.

I have just looked on Amazon and the unit looks good but some reviews with respect to compatibility and use with ipad concern me.

Do you use this for other than small files? Will it work with larger files such as a film do you know?

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

Sorry have not tried it with film. Only used for photos and small text files.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your candid help.

I have researched more and found quite a lot on various sites that indicates that external drives are quite limited in their use with ipad. As a result more information on some software which may enhance the function is being sought. For the moment I shall hold off spending the money.

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

I trust that you will find an appropriate device. Would be nice if you could let us know how it goes.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'll leave this open to remind me to do so.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

And to work on the network with the iPad ie desktop PC,laptops, and NAS download the below link I use it all the time. Great bit of software.

click here

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I use a Buffalo Linkstation NAS click hereconnected to my wireless router and the FB app Ventad has posted the link to and this works fine with both my iPad and iPhone.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

The use of an external drive is still under consideration, but the use of File Browser (Ventad's link above) makes it look an easier proposition. However the question of uploading - especially large files (films etc) - is still a problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added