We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you purchased a DECT phone + answering machine?

Zak
Resolved

Likes # 0

Now that from 4th January 2014 BT is charging £1.75 per month for the BT Answer 1571 service I am looking at buying twin DECT phones with answering machine.

There are quite a few to choose from and I have seen them starting at around £40 to £50. Using for 2.5 years @ £21 per year (if no price increases from BT) will virtually cover the initial outlay and after that I am quids in. John Lewis does 2 year guarantees on some models.

My needs are that the phones have a loud speaker for hands off use, are reliable and good value. SMS and call blocking would be nice but not a requirement.

Any suggestions or recommendations on the make and model of phones and where to buy will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have had a Panasonic for years.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Mines a Tescos own brand. Had one without the answering machine first (2 handsets) and bought the one with the Digital Answering machine when Virgins 1571 let me down badly. Registered my 2 existing handsets to it quite easily. Been using it for 6/7 years now and recently replaced the rechargeable batteries as I was getting 'out of range' faults. Now back in full working order. Most phones these days have loudspeaker functions even my old Tescos ones.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Binatone

or Gigaset 420A £30 from Sainsbury's for a twin pack answering phone.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

I have the Panasonic KX-TG8521EB with answerphone, plus another identical phone, as seen in wiz-kings post.

I've had it some time, maybe a couple of years, and it's extremely good. Yes, loudspeaker is good volume, plus there is a socket to plug in a hands-free ear piece and mic too. Blocking calls is effective, as long as you have the number to put in. Answerphone easy to use. Yes, accepts texts too

Would certainly recommend. Well worth the price - but I can't remember how much I paid for it.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have now made up my mind and I will go for Gigaset A420A Twin DECT Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black from Amazon at £34.99 with free p&p.

Like this post  
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I used TrueCall as it not only provides an answering machine, but it also filters out all the nuisance calls as well

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad