We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using a 200Gb IDE HD recovered from dud TV recorder

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

My ageing Panasonic digi Freeview box with HD recorder and DVD has died suddenly and been replaced.

Lifting the lid there are at least 2 electrolytics which have blown and the display had become too dim to read during daylight, so it was time to replace it.

The HD was fairly easy to remove and is a standard IDE Samsung HA200JC. I can fit it in a case as an external HD, but presume it will be unreadable to Windows XP and will need formatting. A pity because there are a few items recorded which I would like to save.

Is there a way to copy the contents into playable form by my PC or the new recorder which has a USB socket at the back?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Most recorders are Linux based.

If you plug the hard drive into a suitable computer and then boot the computer with a live Linux CD of your choice, the chances are you'll be able to access those files.

The reason you can't access them trough a Windows machine, is because the file system used cannot be read by Windows. There's a high probability is ext2 or 3.

Like this post  
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks LastChip for the probable answer.

Sorry to say it won't be worth {to me] the time required, but I appreciate having your guidance.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Arn't these drives encrypted or is that just Sky.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Either way, it matters not! Mounted in a suitable case the motor doesn't even spin....

Utter 'ush. The case LED shines but that's all and I'm not in urgent need of another HD anyway.... to recyle tip!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...