We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with "KIES" software. (Extra words just to please the title police!)

sydsnott

Likes # 0

I have a Galaxy S3 Lte and recently bought a 64GB card for it. Hearing of the reputation that Galaxy's have for "eating cards", I didn't want to invoke any problems, so decided to use KIES. First attempt was with "KIES Air" total waste of time, it briefly found my phone but never since. Samsung's help line agrees this software is rubish and I shoud dump it in favour of the "full-fat" version. Big mistake! After downloading it installation caused my WiFi card to disconnect. I re-connected it and then found that all subsequent Windows Updates would not install. Phoned MS. who advised it would cost me £65 min to correct it as it was not caused by MS; alternatively I could try Sys. Restore!

Fortunately that did the trick. Samsung's helpline to the rescue with an offer of "Kies on a stick" which duly arrived and on installation (yawn), it immediately informed me it was out of date....would I like to download the latest version! "No thank you" would be a distilled and sanitised version of my response!

Samsung helpline quickly arranged for another stick, with the current version loaded.

....it was exactly the same!

Further calls elicited that this was the only version they could supply!!! Incredible!

(according to Afterdawn this version is superceeded by SEVEN others)

Anybody else having this trouble?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Kies is the biggest load of junk I have ever had the misfortune to install. It does not connect the majority of the time. I previously installed the latest version and it would connect but not allow me access to anything. After a week and a half of email exchanges with Samsung they finally agreed that it was not compatible with my phone. I asked for a previouis version which had worked reasonably well and they said that they could only supply the latest version. Had to hunt the download sites to find it and it eventually worked. Absolute carp!!!

Like this post
sydsnott

Likes # 0

Thanks Alan, nice to know I'm not alone....or at fault! "they said that they could only supply the latest version" lol, I suppose that they were referring to ver. 2.3.3.1208575 which is the one they sent me ...twice. According to Afterdawn the current stable version is VER:2.5.3 Released April 27th 2013, but I'm scared to download it for fear of what it might do to my PC! I really expected more of Samsung than this, it must be hurting their credibility.

Like this post
sydsnott

Likes # 0

PS. sorry about the poor readablility of my post, the website seems to think that "Layout" is totally unnecessary and just prints it all as a slab!

Most unappetising, and irritating that there is no opportunity to edit!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

The version I got working was 2.3.2.12054_18. Anything after that was a no-go on my phones. The install also took absolutely ages, in particular the drivers. I thought the computer had crashed.

Don't know about the V2.5.3 as I decided I had wasted enough time on it and stick to the version above. If you do try it let us know if it is a success.

Like this post
sydsnott

Likes # 0

Hmm, your version was quickly succeeded:- SAMSUNG Kies v2.3.1.12044_18 23 May 2012 SAMSUNG Kies v2.3.2.12054182 30 May 2012 Maybe all these versions were to accomodate different phone models, but the fact that Sammy's dedicated KIES Team only have one version seems to indicate that it is indeed a poorly written piece of doggy doo and bugs are left for the poor punters to find, prompting ad-hoc revisions.

I have never seen a piece of software with such a universal level of contempt as this.

Some folks say there are better programmes out there than KIES, but helpfully they do not share their wisdom!

I think that rather than persist in attempting to revive what is quite definitely a "Deceased Parrot"!

Like this post
sydsnott

Likes # 0

Some where the last scentence got lost!

Reads:-

I'll Google for the alternatives!

Like this post
sydsnott

Likes # 0

SCENTENCE indeed!...must be thought association with the whiff of Doggy Doo!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

There care some alternatives out there but they are only for Android phones if I remember but I could be wrong.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Kies is one reason and it was a major reason why I didn't get a Samsung Galaxy 4 to replace my Galaxy 1. That and ease of sync with Outlook (the program). I got an iPhone instead and am pleased. Samsung make good phones but dreadful software. Regrettably you may well need Kies to get any Android updates for your S3. It is a pity that reviewers don't make much mention of Kies.

Like this post
jellyhead

Likes # 0

I have used AirDroid for some tasks with my Note.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger