We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems With Second Hand Sky+ Box

Kauly

Likes # 0

I have recently acquired a second hand sky+ box. A white Pace 80Gb DV3 model TDS470N. It has no remote or viewing card, but when connected to the twin leads from an active dish, it powers up and displays some FTA channels. I only want to watch and record FTA channels so my questions are :- A. will any Sky+ remote operate this unit allowing access to all functions or does it have to be make & model specific ? and B. Do I need a sky viewing card to access & record FTA channels : If so, Where do I get one?, how much are they?, and how long do they last? Thanks for any help. Kauly

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not only do you need a Sky card, but you need a Sky subscription.

A Sky+ box will not record or play (or pause etc.) even FTA channels.

A Sky card will simply allow you to watch live, but I'm not sure how you get one.

Like this post
Kauly

Likes # 0

Good to know ! It only cost me a quid so it's probably going in the bin Thanks for the heads up. Kauly

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I concur with what morddwyd says. Without a Sky subscription and card it will act simply as a FTA live satelite receiver. All other functions are crippled. If you want a remote do a search on Google as it might turn up a multi use one eg an All4One item.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...