We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Query about GPS usage abroad

tomtracey12

Likes # 0

Hi, I am embarking on an 800-mile cycle across France from Nice to Calais on Monday 17th June. I am raising money for Sport Relief and I live in the UK. I use an app on my iPhone called Strava to track my rides here in the UK, and I would love to be able to do this across France. However, I am not willing to pay anything. I have read that iPhones use assisted GPS for instant results but they DO work using normal GPS (or so I believe, I may be wrong) which I have also read as being free of charge all over the world.

My question is, if I turn off mobile data and WiFi in France, but use the app to record my ride (also, do I need signal for this?) without needing the actual map (as I have a physical map), i.e. so all that you can see on my phone is the blue dot on a grey screen, will this work (I would be uploading it once I reach WiFi spot at the end of my ride) and will it be free?

Many thanks.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

have you asked you phone provider to sponser free gps/mobile data service for your phone during the ride.

Like this post
tomtracey12

Likes # 0

Are they likely to do that?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't have the Strava app but looking through their support pages Strave iphone then it would seem that when you save your activity it syncs with the Strava servers and it would need mobile data or wifi for that. How it would work en-route is not clear. Suggest that you turn off mobile data in UK and experiment with the app.

I don't see the point of turning off wifi unless you want to save battery. You would only connect to free wifi hotspots.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

tomtracey12

if you do not ask you will not know, ask if they can provide a logo as a sponsor for you to display this often helps when asking. write to head office rather than phone and show info on your event.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...