We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with HDD/DVD dubbing to DVD disk please

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I own a a Sony HD HDD/DVD Recorder standalone connected to my Sony Bravia TV.

What I need to do is burn a couple of my films and drama series to DVD Disk for later watching as I am running out of HDD space.

I understand that they call this Dubbing.

I tried this to a Verbatim DVD-R disk and I got the message unable to ... something relating to the DVD-R disk not being ready.

Do I have to do something to this disk before Dubbing to it. If you require the full message i will try again later and post back

Thanks for any forum group who can help.

Steven

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Steven,

Give me a hint as to which model Sony HD HDD/DVD Recorder you have.. so I can download the User Guide and have a read..

David.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello Lazurus The 2nd !

Thanks for calling in!

My Sony DVD Recorder is a HXD995 Model. My User Manual supplied with it covers 8 of them in a range from the 790 - 1095 models.

Hope you can help me, as I need to get some DVDs burnt to free up some HDD space.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello all Just wondering if 'Lazarus The 2nd' is arround tonight ? to help Thanks

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Hi Steven, Still here, Just a bit busy at home.

(1) Do I have to do something to this disk before Dubbing to it:

From what I have read, The DVD's (R - & +, RW - & +, Single and Dual Layer) need to be Formatted, although the User Guide says that DVD-Rs are Formatted automatically.

Have you got a DVD+RW or a DVD-R to practice with?.

(2) I tried this to a Verbatim DVD-R disk and I got the message unable to ... something relating to the DVD-R disk not being ready.:

any chance of getting the full message. (it could refer to the DVD not being Formatted).

What are the lengths and Recording Modes (if different), ie. EP, SP, LP , HQ.

Are they (the Recordings) a mixture of 4.3 and 16.9 screen format.

Can you try a different Brand of DVD, as i seem to remember somebody else having a problem with Verbatim DVDs, Like Tesco, Sony, Imation or Memorex (these are the Four Brands I mainly use with no problems..

David.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello Lazarus The 2nd (David)

Sorry, didn't know you had replied, I didn't get a email stating there was a reply.

Thanks for calling back!

I have pleanty of DVD-R Verbatim 4.7Gb, 16x 120mins to practice with, but will buy some other brand reading what your saying about certain branded Disk's.

I will post back with the full error earning message Friday or Saturday. I will try and find out the Recording mode lengths There are some films i recorded that were letterboxed when they were on TV

Will post back with more info Friday or Sat

Thanks for calling back !

Cheers Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Morning David & The PCA Forum

I notice it states in the Manual on page 93 "You can Dub all of the Contents on a Finalised etc

It seems to refer to the different types of the DVD disks like -RW, -R etc but for DVD-R in brackets it states (video Mode)

Lower down in this paragraph it then stated HDD to DVD-R

I will go to the Tesco Extra today and pick up a selection of other branded DVD's like you mention and also a RW format.

Thank You again and speak later when you free

Cheers Steven

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Hi Steven.

That section on page 93 is for

Making a Backup Disc (DVD Backup)

Is for Copying a DVD, 1st to the Hard Disc Drive (HDD), Then 2nd from HDD to a New Blank DVD.

The pages you require are, Page 89

Dubbing (HDD <--> DVD) Before Dubbing

then pages 90 - 92 HDD/DVD Dubbing & Dubbing Using Dubbing List.

David.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks David !

I got some Tesco DVD-RW Disks today but not tried them due to being busy with work all day.

So, I have been reading the wrong section missunderstanding what i need to do.

I will try this tomorrow evening and select HDD<-->DVD ! Will post later Friday evening to let you know what happens. If not sucessfull with Verbatim then I will open the Tesco Disks

How long does Dubbing of a say 1 1/2Hr programme take roughly. Does it have to Dub to the DVD from the HDD as the same speed like when watching it on TV ?

Thanks for the help and pointers and will post back Friday night

Cheers & Thank You

Steven

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

All Four (3 Panasonics & 1 Toshiba) of mine take about 20-24 Minutes for a full DVD (2 video Hours).

so that would be about 5 - 6 Minutes for 1x Half Hour programme.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks David

Finally got Sunday free ! so plan on trying the above out.

i understand there is LP, SP modes am i right in saying when recording from TV to HDD in SP Mode the picture is compressed and not as good as when in LP. Which I think LP is also the default.

Will sit down and try dubbing HDD <> DVD then HDD-DVD -RW

Cheers Steven

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...