We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

tethering phone to tablet

Damarc

Likes # 0

My phone contract is shortly coming to an end. I have recently acquired a Windows 8 hybrid laptop/tablet. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S1 of which I am very fond so don't mind keeping it. However Samsung Kies is an awful piece of software. It really mucked up my laptop when i tried to download the latest version so that I could update the firmware on my old phone with a view to hopefully tethering to my tablet. [tethering worked with my old laptop on Vista] I had to uninstall Kies to get my laptop to work again as it was in hibeernation mode all the time.

Would it be easier to get a Windows 8 phone like nokia 820 to be able to tether easily?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I used to tether ok with my old Galaxy 1. Agree entire about Kies which is why I now have an iPhone.

Most modern phones (Android, iOS, Windows) are quite capable of tethering but some mobile operators block it. No need to get a W8 phone just for tethering.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products