We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Damsel in distress with digital boxes set up

Dee1957

Likes # 0

Give me strength... I am an otherwise pretty independent sort of girl, I make & put up shelves, put a 50" TV bracket on wall (for 23 year old useless son), hang blinds, the list goes on but when it comes to PC terms, I'm confused. I have got rid of rip-off Sky and have heard about these Humax type boxes & Solwise Wireless Homeplug thingies but don't understand how to do the wires (or none hopefully). Can I adapt my Sky boxes? or can I have my own boxes instead & get some extra channels, my pretty old tele has a HDMI? socket but not a USB.... As you can see I've done some research but don;t understand it, don't know any men to do it for me (best option) & little money to pay someone so please take pity on a girl & advise in plain English - would be very grateful for any help ♥

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

I have just read a review on the Humax, so am now a bit more informed - I note that the Humax does need Internet connection. This is where the Homeplugs come in handy, these plugs initially need two plugs, one of which connects to your new router and to any handy Mains socket, the other one is connected to a handy Mains socket and to the Humax ... the pair of plugs come complete with the necessary Ethernet Cables.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 1

I would have advised virgin media, the recordable freeview boxes are quite expensive £120,virgin have some good deals on at minute

http://store.virginmedia.com/?buspart=PortalHPctopnav1_1

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

As you have a sky box already you can still get most of the freeview channels see here through your dish without need of an aerial connection

Depending on the type of sky box you have will depend on whether you can record them or not

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

You can continue using sky to watch all the freeview channels but if you have a recordable skybox no that function is disabled when cancelled,you can pay sky £10 a month for the facility to record and playback as previously but only the freeview channels

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Thank you Mart & Fruit bat, I'd logged out when you posted your helpful advice.

Mart I wanted to do away with subscribing to any supplier but will take a look at Virgin deals, thanks - was looking at BT too yesterday as they now throw in a Youview box, competition is hot so may compares deals.

I do have some freeview channels but don't understand why I don't have all as they are free !?! anything to do with settings?

With Sky we had multi-room, one extra box for son's room so will see if there's an alternative to Sky on that score too

Many thanks again to every one who has bothered to offer their advice x

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

hi any unsubscribed free channels you should be able to receive through sky including the freeview channels maybe theres 1 or 2 you cant receive im not sure If you go with virgin yes they do another mediabox in a room just like sky do The essential package with virgin is a good starter,free install 30mb broadband,100 tv channels,unlimited phone calls on a weekend with a 500gb tivo box £13 a month plus £14.99 line rental,at any time you can change your package,add more channels etc like you would want an extra box in bedroom,sometimes these are free if you haggle enough

No i dont work for virgin media just far superior to sky in my opinion or anything else for that matter

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

bt do the full package too as you say you get the youview box free its basically just a recordable freeview box like the humax i presume

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Hi Mart, I am very tempted by current V offers I must say & BT don't have multi-room! I tried to get a bundle minus telephone line, which you can, but works out more expensive (strangely). I will call them and haggle - watch this space - cheers

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Yes virgin now dont require you to have a phone line with them but as you said without the line its more expensive Im sure you will find whats right for you

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Why not just stick with your sky box for freesat,i think there about 100 channels?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...