We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Damsel in distress with digital boxes set up

Dee1957

Likes # 0

Give me strength... I am an otherwise pretty independent sort of girl, I make & put up shelves, put a 50" TV bracket on wall (for 23 year old useless son), hang blinds, the list goes on but when it comes to PC terms, I'm confused. I have got rid of rip-off Sky and have heard about these Humax type boxes & Solwise Wireless Homeplug thingies but don't understand how to do the wires (or none hopefully). Can I adapt my Sky boxes? or can I have my own boxes instead & get some extra channels, my pretty old tele has a HDMI? socket but not a USB.... As you can see I've done some research but don;t understand it, don't know any men to do it for me (best option) & little money to pay someone so please take pity on a girl & advise in plain English - would be very grateful for any help ♥

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Another confused thought, the Sky wires, can I use them to connect alternative boxes?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You don't need Internet to use TV with Freeview - I am not familiar with the Humax boxes.

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Just to hopefully clarify, though my Sky subscription is cancelled the box is still connected hence the few freeview channels (TV is not a freeview tele) & I've heard about Humax or similar are like having your own Sky box without the subscription, perhaps I should look on Humax website to understand how it works & whether I need those plugs

Thanks for all the advice so far and assuming I will be getting a wireless router, I just need to know how I set it all up & are those plugs what I need?

Cheers

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

I have just read a review on the Humax, so am now a bit more informed - I note that the Humax does need Internet connection. This is where the Homeplugs come in handy, these plugs initially need two plugs, one of which connects to your new router and to any handy Mains socket, the other one is connected to a handy Mains socket and to the Humax ... the pair of plugs come complete with the necessary Ethernet Cables.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Oh dear..... the ethernet cable, where does that go, from the plug to where? :)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As in my entry at 9.12pm ....

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Dee1957

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek that article (& written by a woman) was very informative, think what I'm after is a Freesat box!!! The Humax is too expensive for me but there must be alternatives...... if not I'll just get a freeview box

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

OK - you can always get back here if you have any further questions.

If an engineer is fitting your new Router he/she will no doubt be able to make things clearer for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......