We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nokia Lumia 620 and alternatives

HAYP

Likes # 0

Hello, wondering if anyone can give some knowledge/advice:

I have just bought one of these, and am unconvinced - my questions are can the things I'm not happy with be changed, and is there another phone I would be better off with?

It's my first smartphone.

I need to be able to access emails and travel update services (such as national rail enquiries), and I want to do so quickly and reliably. Being able to listen to music - again, quickly and reliably - is good too. I'm not bothered about youtube, it would be nice to have the option but I rarely use it. What attracted me to the Lumia was good reviews of these basic functions (and good reviews of the screen and speed) and also the maps it has - I like them.

What I did not expect was all the other stuff which I do NOT need to be there automatically (in my naivety I expected a phone to be, first and foremost, a phone, which this is not). It feels more like a computer than a phone, and I'm having difficulty with the basic PHONE aspect of it.

I haven't worked out how to send a text to more than one person, forward a text or create contact groups.

The text notification is disappointingly small and inconspicuous - very bad, as I mostly use my phone for texts.

The notification alert system is difficult to manage, I'm not sure how to get it to tell me things (such as text messages/emails coming in) unless I put volume or vibrate on, neither of which I want.

Facebook - I want to be ABLE to access it from my phone, but I don't want or need it automatically there all the time.

Everything else it can do - I don't think I need or want, can't imagine me using it really. I definitely don't need everything integrated, or connected to everything else.

I want my phone to be a phone, and my computer a computer.

So basically - is there another handset, which would be a bit simpler but do the basic things WELL (not too slow, decent screen, emails) - but without the fancy stuff?

Or do I get used to it/try to tame my Nokia? (I also want something which will last, I don't want to have to replace it in a year's time)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...