We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deleting emails from Outlook after viewing on mobile phone

Bigpeat

Likes # 0

I have two email accounts - one with btinternet.com and the other with doctors.org.uk. If I download emails onto my iPhone (or iPad) and delete them on the phone, those sent to the btinternet address still appear in MS Outlook on my PC whereas those to doctors.org.uk don't. I would prefer to be able to delete them permanently on my mobile phone to avoid having to delete them again when I next launch Outlook on the PC. How do I configure Outlook so that it handles emails sent to btinternet in the same way as doctors.org?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are these imap or pop accounts? If pop you are probably leaving messages on the server. Check the iphone and ipad mail setting.

Like this post
Bigpeat

Likes # 0

You are right, Woolwell, the btinternet account is POP and the other is IMAP. I changed the setting of the btinternet account on my iPhone to "Delete from server when removed from inbox" and hope this will do the trick. Many thanks.

Like this post
Bigpeat

Likes # 0

UPdate - unfortunately this doesn't appear to work. Emails to my btinternet address (POP) which have been viewed and deleted from my iPhone still appear (and are marked as unread) in Outlook on my PC when launched later. Emails to my IMAP account are handled correctly. Any further suggestions?

Like this post
tech-ultrasonic

Likes # 0

The option should have worked. I have my account on hotmail.com which is also a POP. When I download my emails from it on my mobile, it puts those messages in the POP folder which it created by default since I started using it on my phone. I too have tried the same option as yours and it worked fine. Check again if the option you selected is still activated. It might be a possibility that it would have been reversed after you logged out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you can it may be worthwhile changing the binternet account to imap.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad