We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why could i NOT access free wifi with galaxy s3 ?

worcesterman47

Likes # 0

hi guys, looking for some advice/help please, the scenario is my wife and i went to a local restaurant for a meal last night & it has free wifi access..so i thought i would try to use my new samsung galaxy s3 phone ( xmas present :)..anyway i kept clicking on the name of the restaurant on the phone but got no connection at all ( just said searching or accessing something like that ) anyway it would not actually connect, is there something i should be setting on the phone myself to enable access to free wifi spots? ... i do NOT have data roaming enabled, everything works fine when at home through my router, i have a 1gb allowance through my phone contract with talkmobile ( which uses vodafone ), so anyone have any advice/help etc as to what i am doing wrong..or is it just that i could not access the free wifi full stop, no matter what i did?...many thanks in advance

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you turned on WiFi in Settings?

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

Yes it is always on

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, using lots of battery power then, not advisable!

Does the Free AP require a Password to be entered? If so, enter Password then select Connect.

or try WiFi Direct ... select Settings>More settings>WiFi Direct - drag the switch to the right. Select Scan, if accepted you will be connected.

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

update !!!!.. as i said earlier i got this phone for xmas but yesterday i realised that i had NOT installed my data plan settings on it..so therefore i was not as i assumed connecting to the net through my router AND my data plan ( when out and about) and i had not noticed..i was just connected through my router at home..i have now installed and set up the phone companys data plan on my phone, i have tested it by turning off router access and i now have the little icon for data transfer on the top of my phone ( i know i am stupid but nver thought in my excitement with new phone to send and install the new data set up settings, well i got them through a few messages and installed them now :)... so now then would/could that have been the reason i could not actually connect to the free wifi access at the restaurant?..as technically i had NO data plan set up on my phone as the settings had not been installed, again any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

It does not appear likely that that is the reason why you could not connect via a WiFi Hotspot unless you had WiFi disabled.

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

Hi..wifi was enabled

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

top7 Spam? Certainly looks like it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite