We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network coverage issue with handset

Munchkin

Likes # 0

Due to network coverage issues I have been giving consideration to switching networks. Is it possible that a change of handset would make any difference to the signal I receive rather than changing network?

Like this post
Sizzers

Likes # 0

Yes, as in the following example.

I've been on Three network for many years and because of the frequency that they use the signal reception in some buildings can be very poor or non-existent (the 2.1 Ghz frequency is the only one they have unlike the competition).

Up until two weeks ago I have only ever owned Nokia phones (all bought SIM free, changed every 18-24 months) when I decided to move in to the world of Android and purchased a Motorola, and frankly the reception is shocking in comparison. The reception is dramatically reduced in the house, being usually lost in the lounge and the data link periodically keeps disconnecting. In other places where I could at least get some kind of signal on my Nokia the Motorola hasn’t got a prayer.

Now although Nokia have always had an excellent reputation for signal reception it is very difficult to guage how a particular handset peforms from reviews alone (my Motorola being a case in point!) I’m not directing you to a particular handset but just making the point that different handsets will offer different performance as you will find in numerous examples from other user experience on the web.

A common cause of reception problems is the placement of the antenna at the base of the phone where most people hold it. Some people will remember the furore over the iPhone 4 dubbed “Antennagate”, which followed Steve Jobs telling users they were holding it the wrong way!!, which through experimentation is exactly what I’m experiencing with the Moto.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad