We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

photoshop file type not recognised

pollpott

Likes # 0

Using PS elements I worked on a photo used "file" "save as" then ticked copy and chose the format JPEG, it said that it had to be saved as a copy which is what I wanted anyway then prompted me to choose file size which I did and all seemed well. However when I tried to open it again in Elements there was no thumbnail of it in the folder, just the file name and a blank file image. It said that it could not open because it was the wrong file type. How can Photoshop save a file of a type which it then cannot open?

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I have just found that I can open the file using Paint.Does that make sense?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Maybe you thought you'd saved it as a jpeg but inadvertently chose a different format?

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I was very careful not to do that. By default Elements will choose to save as a PSD file so it is a concious decision to change this to jpeg. It just seems odd that there is even a choice of file within Photoshop that results in a format it can't then open another time.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Really does sound bizarre!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'