We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weather, studio, or a reboot needed?

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

Television in two separate room, with original analogue aerial available in both. One has Freeview, the other Freesat. The terrestrial aerial has co-ax to both rooms.

Last night after the (12cm)snow stopped and the temperature hovered round zero, I found that my Freesat would not display a proper picture or offerred a "No signal" excuse ................. and then cleared to work normally about 2200

The old Freeview setup with a terrestrial aerial was working normally as did the younger digital TV equipment when switched to the terrestrial aerial.

Meanwhile I had looked at the Freesat aerial which was well coated with snow, and felt I was going to have to shift the snow from the satellite aerial in daylight. After the satellite signal returned I looked again and could not see any less snow.

This morning the sat. antenna still has a fair load of snow but is working fine!

What was wrong to cause loss of reception from at least 1800 to 2200?

The snow is thickest over the receptor, only covering the lower half of the dish. A load of snow on a sat aerial cannot improve performance, but I haven't heard of this as a common fault?

I think it might have been better to have unplugged the receiver/recorder stuff and rebooted. Treated it just like a PC and made a restart from cold!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Sounds like you had a build up of snow either on the face of the LNB or directly in front of the LNB thus effectively blocking the satellite signal from reaching your decoder.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

BTW if you have to remove snow from the dish it is best to use regular car deicer if you can reach the dish.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks SillBill

This is its third winter and the first time such a "failure" has happened. I take your point about using a windscreen cleaner - an alcohol based squirt, and NOT the glycol inhibitor mixture which goes into the engine cooling.

Even so, about half of the original dose of snow has gone and since the system is working normally I won't *fix it !*

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Very sensible, when it aint broke DON'T "fix it"!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Satellite TV signals are affected by adverse weather - particularly by heavy rain and snow. Accumulated snow on the dish and LNB will lead to a 'no signal' message. The cure is to gently brush the snow off - if you can reach the dish with a broom.

Heavy snow or falling rain can also lead to signal degradation.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

FE.

Weather causing loss of signal happened far too often using my terrestrial aerial, and the 4hr loss was the first I'd had with the freesat setup.

Blindingly obvious really, just surprised that TV worked at all with the snow left after the signal returned.

Yes I know I said I wouldn't fiddle with it ... but I did manage to hang out of a bedroom window to push off the lump that remained. It was a mite awkward and fraught because the window is low and opens to cover that side. The other half suggested her cobweb brush which is long and light so I was able to do a daring hangout one-handed and just push the snow off before the overnight frost secured the lump and could have given a solid foundation for the next fall.

To reach it with a spray can would have meant a ladder, and I hate any height when the ladder becomes wobbly.

The solar panels shut down in the snow and didn't even bother to come alive until the snow fell off about half of them today, and were still inactive with heavy cloud cover.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014