We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Panasonic HX-DC1 - Charging Issue

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hiya

I'm wondering if any has the same camera as me and offer a suggestion on my issue...

The Camera is not charging Properly when I plug the USB Cable into the camera it should charge but sometimes Jiggling the cable might get a sign of life but nothing.

I know it's not a battery issue because it tells me "Low Battery" when you switch on the camera then powers off.

So I'm under the impression could it be a charger fault here has anyone had this problem?

Hope You Can help.

Cheers Rob

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Rob.

I am not familiar with this model but have had a look at the manual online.

Firstly I am assuming that the red charging light is not flashing, and are you saying that by jiggling the cable that you sometimes get a response?

There are a number of possibilities for a lack of charge:

1. the mains adapter is faulty - needs to be checked with a multimeter.

2. the lead is faulty - try another lead.

3. the charging circuit is faulty - needs to be checked by a Panasonic dealer.

4. the battery is faulty - try another battery. Although you say that the battery is ok as it comes up with "low battery" when switched on its possible that the battery is life expired or faulty and is no longer capable of taking a charge. rechargeable batteries have a charge/recharge life of around 300 cycles.

Beyond this unfortunately I cant offer anymore help.

Hope you get it sorted.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hi Bris.

I'm Leaning towards either..

1. The Mains Adapter

2. Tried another USB Lead (Still the same)

3. That may be another thought as well.

4. I used the camera the other day which I know was working all fine so I know it's not the battery.

In any case I've sent it to Panasonic for enspection and I will update this thread in due course.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Rob.

You can eliminate the mains adapter by plugging the lead into a USB socket on your PC as this will provide sufficient current to charge the battery.

I think you are right to get Panasonic to check it out as my guess would be the charging circuitry in the camcorder as I have had a number of devices over the years where the charging circuit has failed, in fact my current set of Panasonic headphones have suffered that fate which isnt a problem as I can charge the batteries externally. I wonder if Panasonic or a third party provide an external charger for your battery in which case its probably worth getting one as the charging circuits built into equipment arent that robust due to the fact that the size is dictated by the amount of space available on the circuit board.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hi Bris

I'm sure I can get then additional Charger on Amazon will see how the repair goes it arrived athe repair center this morning.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Update:

Requires replacement battery frame assembly
(includes tripod mount) and usb socket assembly

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Rob.

Glad they identified the problem.

Hope its still under warranty.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

It should be but they have charged me...

And now waiting for the parts from Panasonic....

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Rob.

Its after sales service that really sorts the men out from the boys but unfortunately its often the big companies, that should be top notch, that fall short in this department.

Thats why when asked to rate a particular company/supplier I dont bother unless I require after sales service as the vast majority of companies are very good at sales and delivery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more