We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Samsung Galaxy Note II Help please

ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

Hi, I am a big Apple fan and have, apart from my Desktop and Laptop, an iPod and an iPad. My ancient Nokia needed replacing and I was quite keen to get an iPhone. I wondered what all the fuss was concerning Samsung Galaxy and so deciced to investigate. Outcome was, no iPhone and I bought a Galaxy Note II mobile phone which I am delighted with. However, not easy to get to grips with. Yes, for just making phone calls etc but the unit is capable of so much more

• Tags:
Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Sounds like SPAM!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

And what is it, exactly, exactly, that you want help with?

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

SillBill and morwydd No, my post was not spam. Infuriatingly, whilst typing my query, I twice must have inadvertently pressed a wrong key because the message got sent but was not completed. Try again - when I got my Note II, I was told oh, you need GMail for getting Apps?? Now, with my iPad, not being synced to my Desktop, I have a Yahoo Mail account on that and it is more than adequate for my needs when away from home. I would prefer to have this on Note II and not GMail. Does anyone know if GMail is essential for my phone? I have tried to find reviews for it and cannot find recent ones and the ones I can read say oh it is fantastic for extra storage, well for sure, I do not need that. I would not want to try to delete th GMail if it does have some good uses but I find my Yahoo Mail much easier to cope with. Can anyone help please?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just look for an answer in Google, like this:

Yahoo mail on galaxy

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

Thanks john for your response

I logged into Phandroid and have read the relevant posts. However, it seems to allude to yahoo mail.com.au - something like that . My Yahoo account is with yahoo.co.uk/mail I think though the posts seem to indicate that Yahoo is not an easy option with the Galaxy??

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link and I most certainly will look through this. I have in fact, printed out the 141 pages of the Samsung Manual and am working through that. I am no duck egg when it comes to intelligence but the exception is, a bit of a dimbo with IT

Like this post
SoftMaker

Likes # 0

You don't need a gmail account to use an Android device, but it's used as your main Google account for identifying you and your devices so that you can download (and pay for, if needed) apps from the Play Store. Other than that you can completely ignore the account and never use it for emails.

There should be 2 apps for email on your device. There's the gmail app, which obviously you don't want to use, and then there's the email app (called "email" in your app drawer). You should be able to enter your Yahoo login credentials into that app and it should just set it up for you.

Alternatively, there's a plethora (and I am using that word correctly) of email apps available on the Play Store. K9 is a very popular one, but there's lots, most of which are free. You should have no trouble finding something to suit your needs :)

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

SoftMaker I am so appreciative of your helpful response. I have followed your instructions but have not been successful. I input my user name and password and I had to choose betwwen Manual set up or Next - so I chose Next. A message came up, "Set up could not finish - incorrect user name or password. Underneath, it stated Edit details. So I tried again and chose the Manual Set up. The screen then came up with a question - What time of Account? Three options were shown - Pop3 Account IMAP Account Microsoft Exchancge Active Sync I just guessed and chose POP 3 this then brought up morequestions about Security SSL an d styated Port 995 Unfortunately, I then had to give up because I did not know what I was doing.

Now I did attempt a couple of weeks ago to set up my Yahoo account and I got exactly the same message. So, I then took steps to change my Yahoo password and this was accepted and indeed, I use the new password when I send emails from my iPad.

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

SoftMaker I am so appreciative of your helpful response. I have followed your instructions but have not been successful. I input my user name and password and I had to choose betwwen Manual set up or Next - so I chose Next. A message came up, "Set up could not finish - incorrect user name or password. Underneath, it stated Edit details. So I tried again and chose the Manual Set up. The screen then came up with a question - What time of Account? Three options were shown - Pop3 Account IMAP Account Microsoft Exchancge Active Sync I just guessed and chose POP 3 this then brought up morequestions about Security SSL an d styated Port 995 Unfortunately, I then had to give up because I did not know what I was doing.

Now I did attempt a couple of weeks ago to set up my Yahoo account and I got exactly the same message. So, I then took steps to change my Yahoo password and this was accepted and indeed, I use the new password when I send emails from my iPad.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made