We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop replacement overpriced possible return

Machy4

Likes # 0

My Laptop screen recently broke and I went to get it repaired at a shop, usually I would look for cheaper alternatives on the internet but I've been quite busy recently and thought it would be quite a lot of searching time. The place charged me £85 for the repair. While the work was being done I reverted to my older more carefully spending self. I expected a price increase with it being a local retailer but the replacement part was only £37 online to buy and the labour would of been a maximum of £10. So at £47 we're talking nearly double the price. Any advice on how I can return this so I can just order in the replacement part for the lower price? Am I legally entitled to return it (along with the labour involved) as it was only done yesterday?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Labour £10? You are having a laugh, Most people will charge for 1/2 hour min @ about £50 an hour. Have you any idea of the cost of running a business?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No you are not legally entitled to return it.

You entered into a contract with this company, and they have complied with the terms of that contract.

You must do the same.

Like this post
Machy4

Likes # 0

@wiz-king Same place charged me £20 to build a whole tower of components let alone a screen replacement so I suggest you find other people for your next piece of evidence as opposed to "most people"

@morddwyd Unsatisfactory quality as far as i'm concerned, but the law is irrelevant as nobody is going to be taking anybody to court. It would be up to the retailer.

Thanks for the replies.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You made no mention of the quality of the work, simply the price.

If the law is irrelevant, why did you seek advice on what you were legally entitled to?

Like this post
Machy4

Likes # 0

The quality of work is directly connected to the price. To illustrate with a ridiculous example, if they charged £1000 for the same job, the quality would be reduced.

I asked about the law to see if there was a legal returns precedence in a work done and fitting situation. When I saw how literally you were taking the mention of legality over any reasonable method of returning the item, (which was the intention, if you look at the previous sentence before I mention it) I explained the actual outcome of a legal situation was irrelevant, to once again emphasize the retailer and me and not a literal legal outcome.

Thanks for the replies

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You're missing a point or two here.

Firstly, you have no way of knowing that "the labour would of been a maximum of £10" It's up to the shop to set its labour rates, not you.

Secondly, morddwyd gave you correct advice - legally you are not entitled to return the machine for a refund of the repair cost.You asked for the work to be done, it was done,and you paid for it. The terms of the contract you entered into with the shop have been fulfilled, and that's the end of the matter, whether you like it or not. "Unsatisfactory quality" has nothing to do with it - I can't understand why you mention it.

You don't have a leg to stand on,and getting irritated because you don't like the advice you were given is pointless,as is trying to pretend that you didn't mention legality.

You asked "Am I legally entitled to return it" and the answer is no, you are not. If you were concerned about cost you should have asked the shop for a quotation before you told them to go ahead.

Like this post
Machy4

Likes # 0

"Firstly, you have no way of knowing that "the labour would of been a maximum of £10" It's up to the shop to set its labour rates, not you." I've dealt with the shop many times in the past. So i'm going from experience on what they charge. I already mentioned that. Yes that's right, they set the labour rates, not you. And I have experience of their labour rates, do you?

I already explained the second part about unsatisfactory quality and why I asked about the law. You sound like a broken record.

Funny, I don't feel irritated. Your post certainly sounds like you are though. Are you aware of projection?

Saying I "don't have a leg to stand on" sounds quite emotional and absolute. It sounds like you aren't familiar with the practicalities in situations like this, whether it be handled over the counter or at the small claims. Or you are familiar and have been on the bitter end of it. To look at both sides it has it's advantages too. Being a local shop that is liable for anything going wrong as opposed to ordering in the part and getting someone to build it. The retail overheads etc charges are typical and once in a while not that bad a thing depending on the job. The price was the clear disadvantage from the outcome. But this sounds a little like a fun motivation to a challenge :) For experiments sake testing against making absolute emotional claims would you like me to make these poor local retailers life socially uncomfortable until they possibly give me a refund? Taking it as far as i can legally? Just to see if this is one of those occasions a leg miraculously appears out of nowhere to hold me up? I've returned all sorts in the past successfully with protests and technical issues. But that's nothing to do with the fact that it comes to the retailer and me. Or did you only mean this from your morally subjective perspective or strict common/statutory law? Then in actuality, you missed the point from my third post.

Plus, I must say as an objective assessment that the overclockers forum handled this topic rationally and thoroughly as opposed to here. This forums version of the post is of unsatisfactory quality :)

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Are you sure you came here for advice and not just for an argument?

As the Forum Editor said, you should of asked for a quote. You didn't bother, so you paid the price. learn the lesson for the future.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Plus, I must say as an objective assessment that the overclockers forum handled this topic rationally and thoroughly as opposed to here.

You were give exactly the same facts over there as you got here.

Click here

Like this post
Machy4

Likes # 0

"Are you sure you came here for advice and not just for an argument?" Yes. Other way round I would say. Demonstrated by the language in the responses. "You are having a laugh" "You don't have a leg to stand on"

morddwyd was cool. He had his objective opinion and I gave him my response with my points of views that differed with his and that was that. The other two responded emotionally in segments, sometimes even in responses from points of mine that were directed at morddwyd , not them, in which they did not display his objectivity in a response.

"You were give exactly the same facts over there as you got here." Another demonstration of emotional compromise. Surely this person knows I know where my forum topic is on overclockers? It's a attempt to demonstrate to others for petty reasons. I invite anyone to click on that link and notice the differences in tone, intellect, objectivity and open discussion in the overwhelming majority. If they can't notice the difference I would suspect it would be either bias or lack of interest/insight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...