We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vodaphone PAYG text messages;how long will they 'hold' a text for me?

p;3

Likes # 0

I have a PAYG vodaphone mobile phone; I am told that there is a limit to how long a text will be held on their 'server' if I do not put my phone on for several days ; Does anyone know for how many days a text will be 'held' before it gets rejected by the Provider?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

According to this, once the text is received by the phone it is already saved on the phone. link. It looks like once it has been received and saved then it deletes automatically on their 'servers'. That's how I read it anyway.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As you go about your daily routine your phone periodically performs a 'handshake' with your phone provider's nearest transmit/receive mast. The phone sends a packet of data to the mast, and the mast responds - that way your network provider always knows which cell you are in.

When someone sends you a text the network mast nearest to you sends a signal to your phone, telling it that there's a text waiting. The phone responds,and the message is transferred. Once that happens the message no longer exists on the network - it's stored on your phone. The network records the time of the transfer, and it does the same thing if you send a text to someone else.

If your phone isn't switched on when a text arrives the network will hold it - sometimes for a few days - until your phone next makes a handshake. Sometimes the networks are very busy, and the high traffic may prevent the system from delivering your text. In this case the message will be buffered, and delivered when the network has the necessary bandwidth available. This can mean that some texts are delayed by a few hours, or even a day or so.

You can keep a text on your phone for as long as you like.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks